OS X version problem

Reaction score
I recently received a mac computer as a gift from my father (he only used it for music and photos). However, I haven't been able to install most of the software because it is not compatible with the current version of the OS (MAc OS X Version 10.2.8). I tried the software update but it only updates all the extra software included. Is there any way I can upgrade the OS for free??
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Nope.

You are looking for an Upgrade (not Update) to Tiger from Jaguar, something you will unfortunately have to fork out for.

For curiosity purposes for you and others....

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - Not Out Yet!

Hope that clarifies things, even stuff you never asked for :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Nope.

You are looking for an Upgrade (not Update) to Tiger from Jaguar, something you will unfortunately have to fork out for.

For curiosity purposes for you and others....

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - Not Out Yet!

Hope that clarifies things, even stuff you never asked for :p

Sorry, to be off topic; but don't you think it was rather amusing when Steve intro'd 10.1 and said "internally we've been calling this Puma... because it's one fast cat". Nobody told him a Cheetah is faster than a Puma? I can let the fact that a Puma and a Panther are the same thing go, but that was just wrong.

Anyway, back on topic: if you can wait 'till October Leopard will be out. Save you buying Tiger now and Leopard in a few months time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I recently received a mac computer as a gift from my father (he only used it for music and photos). However, I haven't been able to install most of the software because it is not compatible with the current version of the OS (MAc OS X Version 10.2.8). I tried the software update but it only updates all the extra software included. Is there any way I can upgrade the OS for free??
Thank you

10.2.8 is Jaguar and that is as far as 10.2 went. You have all the updates for that version. Exactly which Mac is this? G3? G4? Tower? Blue & White? Gray? We can better help if we know what Mac it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.