.mac really that great?

Reaction score
Hi!

I was just wondering whether I should purchase a .mac account. It all sounds pretty nice, but 1GB of storage... I mean... 1GB??? That will be filled up in no time! Especially if they advertise it as a backup facility!!!
I do, however like the idea, that this website creating program within iLife has this "publish" button - but... can I also publish like that to any other webspace? I have 75GB webspace for 5 pounds per month!!!! I don't think I wanna give this up for 1 GB in .mac!!

I know, on the mac website theres lots of nice little quicktime movies about .mac - but I can't view quicktime from here, so I can't really find any useful information about .mac on the internet.

Thanks,
Lilbird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hey welcome to the forum! Please search this topic as it has already been talked about many times!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hi!

I was just wondering whether I should purchase a .mac account. It all sounds pretty nice, but 1GB of storage... I mean... 1GB??? That will be filled up in no time! Especially if they advertise it as a backup facility!!!
I do, however like the idea, that this website creating program within iLife has this "publish" button - but... can I also publish like that to any other webspace? I have 75GB webspace for 5 pounds per month!!!! I don't think I wanna give this up for 1 GB in .mac!!

I know, on the mac website theres lots of nice little quicktime movies about .mac - but I can't view quicktime from here, so I can't really find any useful information about .mac on the internet.

Thanks,
Lilbird.

IMO... don't waste your money on .mac... I pay $22 per YEAR for 250GB of space through Dreamhost.

You can publish websites made with iWeb to a folder, then upload the folder to any hosting server with an FTP client without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You're paying for a shortcut built into the OS (iDisk).

As you've realised, it's horrendously overpriced. Even Apple admit as much and it should be revamped in October when Leopard comes out.

Reaction score
One advantage I can see is that it syncs all your contacts. If I use my web host's web IMAP mail, I can't easily access my contacts if I'm away from my Mac. With .Mac, I just log into the web site and all my contacts are there. Very handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 1.83GHz, 1.25GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ipod 30GB Video
Don't bother! I thought it would be good and paid for the year...:[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.