Recording a full band on a macbook?

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a macbook soon but I have a bunch of questions about recording.

I have a metalcore-type band that I want to record, but I want to make the recordings rather high quality. Would I be better off (spending less) just going to a studio and having professionals do it, or could I do good recordings with my macbook?

What stuff would I need (besides mics) to record drum, bass, guitar, and vocal tracks? What's the least I could spend but still get high quality recordings?

Any tips or advice would also be great.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm planning on buying a macbook soon but I have a bunch of questions about recording.

I have a metalcore-type band that I want to record, but I want to make the recordings rather high quality. Would I be better off (spending less) just going to a studio and having professionals do it, or could I do good recordings with my macbook?

What stuff would I need (besides mics) to record drum, bass, guitar, and vocal tracks? What's the least I could spend but still get high quality recordings?

Any tips or advice would also be great.

Thanks

If you're looking to do this as a serious hobby or profession, then go for it. If you just want to make a good quality demo for your band, go to a studio. You're looking at $200-$500 for recording time based on what the studio charges and how well you record vs. $2000 or more for the same setup. Remember, you said you want quality

Recording software - $250-$300 for the cheap stuff (Logic express, Digital Performer)
Analog to Digital interface - $500ish give or take.
Mixer - $300 or so
Preamp for vocals - I'd say atleast $250. For extreme quality, $1000 or more
Mics - a lot. I'm assuming you have stage mics, like the good old SM57/58's. For recording quality, you may want something better. Drum kit mics are a must, and something to record your guitars and bass. You don't want to do a direct line from those as you'll lose the true sound of you amp/cab combo.

You'll have to find a place that's good for recording vocals. May be a bathroom, or a closet. Also, you'll have to learn the gear and how to use it. It may be extremely frustrating at first.

It's doable, but like I said up top. If you just want a demo, save time, money, and un-needed stress and go to a studio.

If you plan on using a multi input setup to record other bands or whatever, then you'll have an investment that's worth it.

edit: Oh, and a monitor. Trying to record and edit tracks on 13" s of screen sounds painful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.