Closing the lid...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I just got a macbook pro, and I was wondering if there was a way to close the lid without the computer going into standby like i did with my old windows machine. If anyone knows of a way to do this please let me know, thanks.

Reaction score
Congratulations on the MBP! I think I've popped in on a few of your pre-purchase threads. :)

...Not sure how you'd disable the sleep for a closed lid. Have you tried going to the Energy Saver preference and moving the sleep slider to "Never?"

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do that? Are you hoping to get it started on a long task, and then let it do it's thing with the lid closed? When I had mine downloading HalfLife2 through Steam, I just turned off the monitor and went out to lunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
You have to either download a 3rd party program...or have it attached to an external monitor.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Congratulations on the MBP! I think I've popped in on a few of your pre-purchase threads. :)

Thanks! I'm really enjoying it! I cant stand to use windows even more now that I'm using OSX, it's so awesome! But sometimes I go out and I'm downloading something or running something and I like to leave my computer closed on the desk, I guess its just a habit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
go to www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com and search for sleepless or insomniax. Both programs will let you close the lid and keep everything active.. please read the WARNINGS that come along with these programs.. they can cause issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.