Removing all personal info.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm selling my G4 mac mini, and I would like to remove all persomal info on it. Such as my name, address, autofill forms in safari.. etc. The system came preinstalled, so formatting and doing a fresh install is out of the question. Would deleting all users remove all info?

Another question, I have about 100 bookmarks in safari, how can I keep all those when I switch to new mac. I won't have both computers at the same time.

Thanks for any help!
Mike

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know about the first one.

But with any browser - go to the Menu - 'File' - 'Export Bookmarks'
This will create a file which you can then save to disc and do the same on the new machine - only 'Import Bookmarks'

Reaction score
Ditto bobtomay on the bookmarks. However, the first question is not easy. Many apps get their info from your "Me" data in the Address Book. Some get there info when you enter it in at installation. Either way, there is a lot of personal data rattling around your Library and Preference folders. The only way to get rid of it is to reformat and reinstall. Deleting the Users will not do it.
When you say that the System came pre-installed, what do you mean? All Macs ship with a System installed. They also come with installation disks. If you can't reformat and reinstall, you will leave personal info for the next owner. Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
My Mac came pre-installed with OS X, but had no installation disks. This is the very first mac mini released.

Any ideas on what to do? I dont really want to buy the discs just to reformat and sell.

Thanks for the bookmark help though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.