• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD copying

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for this: I've got an authored DVD containing some video files (.bup, .ifo and .vob) and I've been unsuccessfully trying to make a copy of this onto another DVD. I copied the entire contents onto the Mac desktop, then used (numerous) blank DVDs - both DVD-RW and DVD+RW via Toast 8 Titanium and it's coming up with various errors which include -

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST
Sense Code = 0x24
INVALID FIELD IN CDB

Sense Code = 0x30, 0x10
INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

and last one!...
Sense Code = 0x21, 0x02
BUFFER UNDERRUN

Because it wasn't copying these particular files, I also converted the largest video file to .mpeg using MPEG Streamclip - it did this fine but still wouldn't copy to a DVD afterwards. I thought it might be the DVDs but I did try different brands and I've ordered some more! Let me know if you can help,

Thanks very much,
Jen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
It may be the RW part of the DVD you are using, have you tried just DVD+-R?

Also, try ripping the contents to your hard drive, then burn it. Use mac thet ripper or something like that.

Best,

Brian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The first three errors you have listed are media errors.
RW is not a good media to be using for video to begin with. I also would suggest trying +-R.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i too point to bad media.
although the last one is due to you doing too many things on your compputer at once while burning and you either ran out of ram or swap space couldnt be used fast enough.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I would also join the masses and blame the media, although I have used RW before, I would definatly not reccomend it. -R is your best bet, followed by +R. Give one of those a try and let us know how it pans out =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.