difficulty placing calls & dropping calls

Reaction score
Yesterday was the worst day. Had to redial two numbers 4 times before the call went thru. The calls would fail immediately after hitting the call button. I had full AT&T bars. Also, dropped 3 calls, again I had full bars.

I love the phone but AT&T may be the iPhone's achilles heal.

Reaction score
AT&T(Cingular) crack me up with there commercials being the make fun of
poor singals and droped calls on other networks yet there commercials
Depict there own network. I hope with the new growth of costumers do to
the IPhone they update and make there network more Effective network as they seem to think there network is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
This is the reason why i don't want to get a iPhone. I have Verizon and i am used to having great service all the time. No dropped calls. However, I REALLY WANT A IPHONE!!!

Reaction score
My experience was the opposite w/ Verizon when I lived in Northern Cali. I thought it was the phone which I changed 3 times. I would seriously get 10-15 dropped calls every week. With Cingular/AT&T I have only had 2 dropped calls in a period of 1 1/2 years. Maybe I'm lucky. :D

Reaction score
So far in the 6 days that I have had my phone, my service seems to be very similar to my previous which was Sprint. I have had one dropped call, that was in my basement. There I would get dropped calls occasionally, I'm sure that would happen with any carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I love living in the Northeast, I never see the problems with cell phone service that the rest of the country does. I always have a great connection, never get dropped calls, and my EDGE speeds are nice and high :D

Oh, sorry to hear about your dropped calls ;)

Reaction score
Yesterday was the worst day. Had to redial two numbers 4 times before the call went thru. The calls would fail immediately after hitting the call button. I had full AT&T bars. Also, dropped 3 calls, again I had full bars.

I love the phone but AT&T may be the iPhone's achilles heal.

did you have good service before with AT&T or are you a new customer to AT&T? it could be a number of factors. 1 could be a bad iphone, 2. could be your location. 3. could be a bad setup / activation and it will need to be re-set up.

have you tried making calls from somewhere else? if so what was the results.

Reaction score
Various providers have various levels of service in different areas. Here in AZ after 7 years with Verizon I have not had a single dropped call I can recall. On other providers (work phones) it has been a much rougher road.

Regarding "bars" on the phone. I can tell you that the phone getting a strong radio carrier from the tower DOES NOT guarantee that the switching / control system has the ability to properly process / route all the incoming data, which can easily overload / confuse a poorly designed / overwhelmed system. Carrier strength and system integrity are different issues.

All said, I believe ATT has the WORST rating in terms of service nationwide, and Verizon is the best. Again, this is the average rating from NATIONWIDE surveys. Your area of the country might be the exact opposite of this. It all depends on where you live.

While I love the iphone, I just am not willing to risk it with ATT. Hopefully the phone will be unlocked in the next version.

OP
V
Reaction score
did you have good service before with AT&T or are you a new customer to AT&T? it could be a number of factors. 1 could be a bad iphone, 2. could be your location. 3. could be a bad setup / activation and it will need to be re-set up.

have you tried making calls from somewhere else? if so what was the results.

I CAME from Verizon. I'm not hppy with ATT so I will return the phone on 7/13.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.