New user, new job, old G4mac. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4! 733MHz/1.25GB
I'm new here. Can anyone give me advice in regards to persuading my boss that upgrading my G4 mac to a G5 is the only way to go when using Adobe's creative suite. I use Indesign most of all as i work in publishing. Before i came here-I'd always had an up to date machine. My specs at work now are: 733MHz/1.25 OsX 10.3.9

Indesign struggles and I don't even have a DVD drive.
What should I have and where do i source the cheapest.

Any advice would rock my world!
Tx

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4! 733MHz/1.25GB
Need new mac!

I'm new here. Can anyone give me advice in regards to persuading my boss that upgrading my G4 mac to a G5 is the only way to go when using Adobe's creative suite. I use Indesign most of all as i work in publishing. Before i came here-I'd always had an up to date machine. My specs at work now are: 733MHz/1.25 OsX 10.3.9

Indesign struggles and I don't even have a DVD drive.
What should I have and where do i source the cheapest.

Any advice would rock my world!
Tx

Reaction score
why not tell him the truth, and forget g5, go for intel. CS3 is built to run on intel macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
What should you have? At your job? A mac pro probably.

Realistically speaking:
From the specs of your machine it sounds like you have a quicksilver model.I'm thinking that a 733MHz processor may get bogged down during intensive work. IMO any powerpc processor over 1GHz should be adequate for most tasks. However a g5 would obviously be better than a g4. G5's are also still very expensive. On ebay the cheapest g5's usually go for around $800 +.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68336
Check out the links in this thread for some in depth info on powermacs. It helped me choose the right powermac when i was looking for a new mac. My g4MDD 1.25GHz cost $525.

Hope this helps and good luck convincing your boss

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4! 733MHz/1.25GB
He dosen't want to buy new Cs3 software

G5 would work better with CS2.
I did say he'd have to update eventually but it depends on what he wants to pay for now.

Thanks though.
TX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would agree that an upgrade could prove beneficial. But going to a G5 might not be the best option at this point.
I would suggest that more RAM be added, and upgrade to the CS3 suite for now. Your boss won't have to front as much money as he would for a new system that way, and the machine you have now will see a marked improvement from the RAM and you will already have CS3... so if and when the machine gets updated to an Intel Mac, you are all set with the new software.
You get the benefits of the latest software now, which IMO is a much better choice considering the circumstances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposted threads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.