How to use the keyboard to select buttons in dialogs (e.g., Don't Save/Cancel/Save)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Seems like a lot of switchers have trouble with using the keyboard to move between the buttons in dialogs.

Generally, you can just press the buttons directly without selecting them:

Return = the blue button (the default selection)
e.g.,
mac_os_x_save_button.png

Escape or Command . (period) = Cancel

Command [first letter of button name] = other buttons (e.g., Command D = "Don't Save")

(credit: technologist)

However, you can also use Tab and Shift Tab to move left and right to select the buttons, just like the arrow keys in Windows!

Here's how:

Open System Preferences. Go to Keyboard & Mouse, then the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

At the bottom, set "In windows and dialogs, press Tab to move the keyboard focus between" to "All controls":

mac_os_x_tab_all_controls.png

You can also use Control F7 to toggle this preference,
although "Turn full keyboard access on or off" (which is Control F1) must be on.

mac_os_x_tab_all_controls_f7.png

By default, Control F2 through Control F7 are disabled,
so basically:
-press Control F1 to turn on full keyboard access (so that Control F7 is enabled)
-then press Control F7 to set the other pref to "All controls."

And now, you can use Tab (and Shift Tab for reverse) to select buttons in dialogs!

But remember, use Space to "press" the current selection, not Return.

Pressing Return will "press" on whatever button is in blue.

For instance:

mac_os_x_save_dialog.png

In this case:

Space = the currently selected button: Don't Save

Return = the blue default button: Save

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
Well this is helpful but u know what?I hate that almost non of the new user searching their Macs to see what are capable of and only yelling i cant do this i cant do that. I did and i already found how to do a lot of things.Maybe ppl dont love their computers as i do.
Anyway, thx a lot for sharing -.-"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I always wondered about this, thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Well this is helpful but u know what?I hate that almost non of the new user searching their Macs to see what are capable of and only yelling i cant do this i cant do that. I did and i already found how to do a lot of things.Maybe ppl dont love their computers as i do.
Anyway, thx a lot for sharing -.-"

I know how you feel. I have a friend who bought a MacBook pro around January (around the same time I did). After using it for a month though, she didnt even know about Expose, or that OS X has voice controls. She didnt even know about widgets!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
This should be a stickie. Someone summon a Mod.

Reaction score
Maybe Apple should offer a free "switchers" book (with tips just like this one) for those coming from Windows.

In the end it would help Apple, especially if the complaints turned into praise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
I know how you feel. I have a friend who bought a MacBook pro around January (around the same time I did). After using it for a month though, she didnt even know about Expose, or that OS X has voice controls. She didnt even know about widgets!

thank god!im not the only one here!
well its like we got the same friend lol.
i got a friend who bought the mac before me, like a month before me and i told him about the same things you did...
<3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Thanks for this, I was always confused about why Tab only moved the blue outline, and return still activated the one that was filled in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.