Windows "Right Click" Equivalent

E

einheit

Ok, so I've been lurking the boards for about a month or so and read enough to finally make the switch. My Powerbook is absolutely fabulous and the I've never seen an easier OS to learn. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get the menu short cut options that come up when right clicking on an item (icon, field, picture, etc) in windows. Does the MAC OS have a similar option? All help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hi einheit,

Use the Apple (Command) + Click this is the Apple version of Right Click. If you want to access the Continual Menus, i.e change Wallpaper etc... Then use the key combination Control (Ctrl)+ Click

Hope this is what your looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
From all that lurking I guess you know about crons and repair permissions :) Welcome to Mac and the forum :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
witeshark said:
From all that lurking I guess you know about crons and repair permissions :) Welcome to Mac and the forum :D

[off_topic]

*screws around with witeshark's system permission*
*locks him out of his own system!*

Go fix that!!

Hey witeshark... What's this reply got to do with Right Click ? Are you a total noob?

*wonders does he know what a mouse is*

[/off_topic]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's the one thing Mac newbies mess up the most :cool:

OP
N

Nightblade

And also, you can buy right-button mice (and even scroll-wheel) mice for the Mac, and they should work. Unfortunately, not all software for the Mac has adapted to being used by a right-button mouse, so you might still have to ctrl-click in certain programs. In addition, the operating system itself isn't quite as adapted to using the ctrl-click as the Windows OS is adapted to using the right-click, but it still can be useful. For example, if you're a hacker or a programmer, you can ctrl-click on certain files (mostly packaged programs and stuff, sometimes programs) and one of the options you might get is "Show Package Contents". If you do, you'll access a lot of hidden menus, containing the stuff that actually makes up that program. You can open certain stuff in a text editor (like TextEdit) or Terminal, and edit the text to actually change stuff within the program. For example, you can lower the system requirements. Of course, you HAVE to know what you're doing for this, or the results could really be BAD. Therefore, unless you're an expert on this stuff, I wouldn't recommend it. But, that's just one usefulness of ctrl-click that even the right-click on PCs doesn't have!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.