How to...get some tracks off iTunes window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Among about 2000 tunes I have about fifty customized tracks that I never pay any attention to and would like to blow off into a separate file someplace. I may want to play with them at some later date, but I don't want them cluttering up my iTunes window in the mean time.

I have them all on a separate playlist and can highlight them all but then what? Don't want to totally delete them...just archive them someplace where they will still be available but will not appear in the iTunes window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I think all you need to do is make a folder on your desktop or someplace, drag all the highlighted songs to the folder (which should duplicate them [1 in iTunes & 1 in separate folder]), and delete the ones in iTunes.

Another option is when you delete the songs click "Keep files" (or something like that). This will not move them to the trash but it will remove them from the iTunes window. The only problem with this approach is when you want to find them again it will be a hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
I think all you need to do is make a folder on your desktop or someplace, drag all the highlighted songs to the folder (which should duplicate them [1 in iTunes & 1 in separate folder]), and delete the ones in iTunes.

Another option is when you delete the songs click "Keep files" (or something like that). This will not move them to the trash but it will remove them from the iTunes window. The only problem with this approach is when you want to find them again it will be a hassle.

Not exactly, he could always delete ALL of the songs from his iTunes library, but of course clicking "keep songs (option)" and then re-adding the whole folder, bringing back these few 2000 songs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Thats much more of a hassle than a simple drag and drop

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Still confused from my mucking around. However, found drag/drop to new folder (not Music or iTunes folder!) then delete from iTunes good enough. Tired of pissing with it. Have no doubt there's better/easier way but I didn't find it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.