• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burning movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Memory, 120GB Hard drive, Double layer Super Drive
i am trying to make copies of my movies. They are ones that i already own, and im not selling them or anything i just want copies so i can take them with me places and if they get scratched or damaged its a copy instead of an original. Its what i did with most of my cds. Anyway i imported one of my movies with handbrake, then burned it using my macbook. when i went to put the dvd in the dvd player it told me that it couldnt read this type of disc. i dont really know anyhting about burning dvds so i need some help. i used a Fujifilm DVD-R 120 min 4.7 GB 1Xto16X (whatever that means). I know there are DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R's and things like that. is there a setting i can change, do i need a different kind of blank DVD, a different program, or is it not possible.
thanks
Derek

Reaction score
Derek,

I am having the same problem as well. I have used three different types of DVD+r's as well as DVD-R's and I still cannot play any movies on my regular DVD player. I have also used several rip and burn programs with no avail. There is something about the format of the movie and and its compatibility with the burner and the ripper. Hopefully, we can get this thing figured out.

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Use MacTheRipper (Free) to copy them to the Hard Drive and Toast to burn them back to a DVD. No loss of quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Use MacTheRipper (Free) to copy them to the Hard Drive and Toast to burn them back to a DVD. No loss of quality.

Exactly!

Using Handbrake is not the option you want. Handbrake makes a compressed format file. It is for storing a back up, watching on special DVD/Divx players, or for watching on your computer or portable device (PSP, iPod, etc).

Mac the ripper actually rips the movie in a DVD friendly format, and then you can use Toast (Pay), or Burn (free) to burn the movie to a new DVD.

Allow me to warn you, that copying DVD's that you do not own is illegal. Make sure that your copying purposes are for backing up your own DVD's only.

Best,

Brian

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Memory, 120GB Hard drive, Double layer Super Drive
gothca, thanks guys.
and yeah they are ones that i own. i dont wanna get in trouble for crap like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
there are several tutorials on the board detailing how to rip and burn a movie
-chris

Reaction score
Yeah, I've used Mactheripper and for some it didn't work either.

Reaction score
i am using handbrake to convert some of my DVDs for watching on my ipod 5G and psp.
Can anyone tell me the settings to use for psp as It is not seeing the video file and i want to make sure i encoded it right

Reaction score
i am using handbrake to convert some of my DVDs for watching on my ipod 5G and psp.
Can anyone tell me the settings to use for psp as It is not seeing the video file and i want to make sure i encoded it right

Use MP4 for PSP and iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Allow me to warn you, that copying DVD's that you do not own is illegal. Make sure that your copying purposes are for backing up your own DVD's only.

Best,

Brian

Unfortunately you are not correct. Breaking the encryption, even on DVDs you own is also illegal at this point and discussion of it is currently in violation of our forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.