Help! Security Camera Software

Reaction score
I bought a little camera for around the house security. Is there a Mac compatable software that I can run this on? Its not even picking up the camera is plugged in. Its a First Alert camera normally ran with a program for windows called Camguard. Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
You will need to find out if the manufacturer of the camera makes drivers for OS X. If not, you may have some trouble beyond software.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Check the manufacturer of the camera website.

If it doesn't have OS X support, return it, and before you buy another, check around the web for OS X compatible camera models and specs, then you'll get one that should work without issue.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you might consider the apple iSight external camera...if you are looking for wireless capabilities though, i don't really know.

Best of luck,

Brian

Reaction score
No chance in ****.....
Its the main complaint of owning a MAC. its hard to find stuff that works with it. Old Logitechs work also the XBOX360 camera.

there is a time delay programme I tried. cheap and is excellent .

I cannot remember the name !! can simly programme what you want to happen ...Let me have a look using "Quick silver".... .

no i deleted it..... I bet i remember soon...so keep a eye out on this thread over the next 48 hours

Reaction score
no not exactly true....but try visiting a big Computer shop and finding a 3rd party camera that fully works with a Mac !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They might not always have it on the box, but a lot of USB Cameras now also work with Macs.

And nearly every other peripheral category is mostly Mac compatible.

To the OP - can you identify any kind of model number on the camera itself?

OP
C
Reaction score
Since its wireless the camera doen't have a model number on it but there is a unit that plugs into the usb drive. The model number on it is 550. Thats all it says. Thats the camera model number as it also says it on the box. Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

no not exactly true....but try visiting a big Computer shop and finding a 3rd party camera that fully works with a Mac !!

Same as if you'd be looking for a WinBox peripheral in an Apple Store, no difference there. You just need to go to the right place. You can't get Honda parts in a Mercedes dealership.

Is this your model, Coues?

Edited to add:

Am about to leave for school, so I don't have the time to research this thoroughly for you, I'll just give you the links and hope you do the homework.

Here's an old O'Reilly article that might give you ideas, it's a general article about home automation on Macs, Home Automation with Mac OS X, Part 1. Read the comments, they might give you ideas for software, if the apps are still being made.

On top of that, I've found 3 apps but you'll have to see the supported devices, the system requirements or if there is a downloadable demo for these apps: SecuritySpy, IOXperts and EvoCam. There are others, you just have to google and use patience to sift through the hits, I found these in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck and let us know if anything works in there. If nothing does, I'm afraid you'll have to take back the camera as was suggested earlier. Go to a Mac or Apple store, you'll get better help there than a generic WinBox computer store.

OP
C
Reaction score
Is this your model, Coues?

Yep thats the camera. I tried Evocam as it seems easiest. My cam is not showing up under the automatic deal so I am going to have to try to put it on manually. Its asking for the ip adress and path? I know my ip adress but I'm not sure what they want for path.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.