Please Help!!! Will not startup all the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Ok here is the deal......When i start my mbp i cna get all teh way to where my desktop and my dock loads. Then part of the menu bar loads, only the wireless signal, volume, battery, time, and finder. Everything else is not there and the menu bar is all chopped. Nothing is loading after that...no hd and nothing on my desktop, but the desktop image loads. My hard drive is spinning, but nothing is going. Did my OSx go bad, or is it my hd. I want to run ony, but cant get that far into the load. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

**update**

Well after about 10 minutes of waiting things began to pop up. I was able to get into onyx to perform maintenance, but to no avail. When i r3started same problem. This time it reverted to the default wallpaper. Onyx said the hd was good so im assuming now that my osx went bad and will hav to reinstall it. I will due that tonght once i get home. If anyoen else has any another solutins i will be happy to try.

Again Thanks

**update 2**

Looking closer it seems that it is Finder that is having trouble loading. WHen it haults and there is no arrow under the finder icon in the doc but ther eis one under the dashboard icon. I tried a pram reset and still nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I would probably back up any important data, and reload the OS. Anyone else have advice?

OP
gomez1018
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Thanks Josh......I think i have worn out all my other options. I did a pram reset, smc reset, unistalled all 3rd party apps, created a new user and tried with that login. Nothing worked. Hopefully a clean install will work.

M

MacHeadCase

Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode (pressing the Shift key) to see if the startup process goes all the way? Starting up in Safe Mode gets rid of garbage files and unneccessary startup items: if all went well, you can try starting up normally and see if that helped or not.

Report back to us so we can take it from there. Good luck! :)

OP
gomez1018
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode (pressing the Shift key) to see if the startup process goes all the way? Starting up in Safe Mode gets rid of garbage files and unneccessary startup items: if all went well, you can try starting up normally and see if that helped or not.

Report back to us so we can take it from there. Good luck! :)

Ya i tried safe mode and safe mood wouldnt even boot correctly. I ended up doing a clean sweep and reinstall of osx. Everythgn is workign fine. I have a feelign it has to do with palm software i tried to install (which was a huge mistake i know). i was able to back everythign up...luckily. Thanks all for the help.

M

MacHeadCase

Well, at least it's up and running now and problems are dealt with.

Yeah we had a heck of a time here getting rid of Palm Desktop Software on this Mac we finally got rid of it I can't exactly recall how so I can imagine what it is like if there is an incompatibility issue with Palm's software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.