firewire port and internet stopped working on IMac G5

Reaction score
Hello,
I have tried everything! Please help. My G5 Imac won't see the firewire port
or connect to internet - suddenly. I am running 10.4.8.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I have a similar problem on my iMac G5 where one of the USB ports randomly stopped working. I wonder if there is such a thing as a firewire splitter?

For the internet, try running Network Diagnostics to find out exactly where the problem is. To say that you simply cannot connect is kind of a broad statement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"
I had my G5 connected to a wireless router for the longest time, then switched to using a cable again when we built a house. The ethernet port was off and on...very frustrating. It wasn't detected, then it worked great, then it gave me a very narrow connection, then it was inactive...so I bought a USB adapter.

Then lightning ran through my cable modem and network, taking out the adapter and the rest of my ports. USB and ethernet down, FireWire to go. (funny how that still worked...)

So I had CompUSA do an estimate and the logic board was in trouble. $1100 to repair, so I bought an intel iMac.

I say all that to say it might be the logic board, as was my case, because this sounds very familiar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.