Mom East coast Mac, me West coast PC

Reaction score
Her G4 just died & she's looking to go G5. Was on OS 9.1. Any help with her questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Does it have a built in modem? If not, what is required? Cost?

2. Can it run our current Claris Works (word processing, data base, spreadsheet, drawing, painting)? If not, what integrated program is needed? Cost?

3. If it can't run current Claris Works, how do we transfer data we have saved to new computer so that we can continue to access it and work with it?

4. Will it run our current check writing, record keeping program?

5. What is the new program that allows Mac to run PC programs? Name? Cost? What is required to run it?

6. Will it copy and burn CDs and DVDs? Will our current Toast program work with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
G5s can't run Windows because they are old and use different processors. Only Intel ones can do it with Parallels, VMware or Fusion. I'd recommend you get an Intel one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
We'll need more info. What model is it?

1) some do, some dont

2) you'll have to check with claris for their requirements

3) the simplest way to xfer data is to burn CDs or DVDs. A network is the fastest.

4) same as (2). check with the software developer.

5) There are...
Bootcamp (free), VMware, CrossOverMac, Parallels... and I think one more.

6) Thats is up to the hardware... can it burn CDs and DVDs?

Many questions can be answered, if you let us know the Mac's Model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
1. I think not, but there is a USB modem available
2. ClarisWorks is now called Appleworks, you may need to upgrade to a newer version if it doesnt work.
3. If the whole PC is dead you need to get the harddrive out and connect it to the new PC or get someone to do it for you.
4. Depends which program and which version it is
5. G5s cannot run PC programs, only the newer Intel-based Macs can. There are different ways that allow you to run PC apps on an Intel Mac, including Bootcamp which simply lets you install Windows alongside Mac OS X.
6. Yes, though i dont know if your version of Toast will work on Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Her G4 just died & she's looking to go G5. Was on OS 9.1. Any help with her questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Does it have a built in modem? If not, what is required? Cost?

2. Can it run our current Claris Works (word processing, data base, spreadsheet, drawing, painting)? If not, what integrated program is needed? Cost?

3. If it can't run current Claris Works, how do we transfer data we have saved to new computer so that we can continue to access it and work with it?

4. Will it run our current check writing, record keeping program?

5. What is the new program that allows Mac to run PC programs? Name? Cost? What is required to run it?

6. Will it copy and burn CDs and DVDs? Will our current Toast program work with it?

Something to keep in mind. Most, if not all, of the G5s will not boot into OS9 any longer. Some of the very early Model iMacs and PowerMacs may, but that is about it. She's going to have to go to OSX, or buy an older machine.

1) All Macs have come with Built in Modems for some time now.

2) If the program is the OS9 version, you can install OS9 and run it in "Classic Emulation Mode". If you get an Intel Mac, she's out of luck as Classic/OS9 will not run on the Intel boxes.

3) CD/DVD or an external drive.

4) What program is it? More info.

5) If you get an Intel Mac, you can use Bootcamp (free from Apple) but you have to have a full copy of at least XP SP2 to load up on it. Other options have been listed already.

6) If you have Toast for OS9, then it will work in "Classic" mode on a G5 as I described in #2. If you get an Intel Mac, then no you'll have to get a newer version.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanx...

Am relaying your questions to her & will get back soon...I hope.
Thank-you for everything so far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1) All Macs have come with Built in Modems for some time now.

Actually no Macs come with built-in modems anymore. There is an external USB modem for those who oppose broadband on religious or geographical grounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ya know, you're right. I just noticed that.I assumed my Quad had one, but I never looked. Good call.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah agreed. My G4 1.25Ghz Mini and iBook 1.33Ghz G4 both came with a Modem. After that though none had a modem. My iMac G5 does not have one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.