DVD+R movie burning problems

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum. I just bought an eMac and installed a SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A superdrive to burn DVD's. The problem is that after I rip a movie (currently I have The 1986 Transformers movie and The Rock on my hard drive in Quivktime MPEG 4 format) it does not burn correctly onto the DVD+R. It will play fine on my computer but I have tried to play it on several stand alone DVD players and the picture scrolls down the screen over and over again repeatidly. I have tried using different ripping and burning software such as Toast, Mac the Ripper, IMTOO DVD Copy, Burn, Handbrake, MPEG2 Works and several different DVD+r's such as Sony, Imation, and Phillips. I don't understand why it's not working. Is it a matter of my software or just that the superdrive is picky about what type of DVD+R's I use? I am ready to give up. I am new at this so I know little about movie burning. I thought it was as simple as burning music but apperently I was wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Try DVD-R, but first, is the movie format you are ripping, the same as the player you are trying to use...what i mean is

is the movie NTSC as well as the player...because if the movie is PAL, and the player NTSC or vice-versa, then you will have issues.

Also, when you rip the movie, is it being ripped to an image file of some kind for burning, or are you ripping it to .avi or some compresses format? This would also cause issues.

Handbrake definitely rips to .avi or .mp4 in compressed format, not so friendly with most standalone DVD players.

I would think that it would be either that you should try DVD-R, if the original DVD plays fine on your dvd player. Make sure that you set the rip setting for the region correctly...PAL vs. NTSC.

Best,

Brian

OP
C
Reaction score
Brian,

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I tried using DVD-R originally and it did the same thing. I have ripping on handbrake so the movies are compressed, one in AVI and the other in MP4. So, I should rip as an image file to play on stand alone players? I'll try that.

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Rip with MacTheRipper, burn back to DVD with Toast.

Handbrake is intended for ripping to MP4 to play on your computer, iPod, ATV or iPhone, not on a DVD player.

Reaction score
Baggss;

So ripping with Mac the ripper, I should not set for mp4? I have same problem; ripped with macthe ripper and tried to burn with expressburn but no luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.