Word processors on new Macs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 1 Ghz G4, 1 GB RAM, running 10.4.10, saving for MBPro
...am I crazy, or are the word processors that come on new Macs (MS Office, iWork) all trials?! Back in the Jurassic Period when I bought my eMac, I at least got AppleWorks. It wasn't the best program out there, but it was free and it wasn't a trial. There are third party programs, or you can shell out even more money, but it seems odd to me that you get all the amazing apps with iLife, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb, and other apps like Safari, iCal, iChat, etc., but I can't just do my homework or what have you. For that I have to pay or go look.

Am I just missing something being out of the stone age? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
TextEdit is just as powerful if not more powerful than those "free" ones from days past. Just set the default style to rich text format.

In the end, a word processing app really doesn't need to do much... besides formatting font, color, and page layout there really isn't anything else it really needs to do. If it does do more (MS Word, Pages, etc), then that is a bonus.

OP
Willravel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 1 Ghz G4, 1 GB RAM, running 10.4.10, saving for MBPro
It just seems very Windows to have a bunch of trial software. It's like charging people for the bathroom when you've just bought their house, you know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Get NeoOffice! =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.