g4 dvi support?

Reaction score
Okay I am the guy who bought 17'' powerbook g4 for an expensive price on ebay.
I just got it today, I will post the picture sometime. It is well worth it considering the condition of this laptop is like-new. I seriously can't tell if this is an used laptop or not by looking at it. (unless I look really close, like couple inches from my pupil, then I can tell.) It's fast enough for my purpose. I am very happy with this purchase.;D It looks so.. beautiful.

Anyways, I am thinking to get a cheap powermac g4 to put in my office, do you guys know if it will support 1600 X 1200 DVI or 1680 X 1240 DVI? (basically 22'' inch wide screen lcd)
It probably depends on the specific model... How can I tell if it doesn't say in the spec.?

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I know the earlier models only have ADC graphics cards, but I think the last model (if you can find out which one that was) dropped ADC in favor of the DVI standard (because ADC couldn't carry enough power for the increasingly large monitors pro customers would be using).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like he said, the early Power Mac G4's were ADC which is a Proprietary standard and powered the monitor through the cable. There ADC to DVI adapters on Apple and other stores on the internet. I have a 22" Apple Display connected to my G4 Digital Audio. Works great.

Which model were you thinking of purchasing?

Glad you got your Powerbook and like it!!

OP
Q
Reaction score
would Powermac G4 Dual 450 MHz with ATI Rage 128 Video Card be able to handle 22'' inch in dvi? how about 24''?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.