• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

so my gf made me feel guility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" bmb, coreduo,2gb,80gb
iv been an avid pc user my entire like 10 yrs. im 19 now...anyway

i was talking to my gf about spending ~1500 on a powerbook to use for school chat email etc. im sellin off 2 of my desktops and i have cash on the side to pay for it.

im talkin to my gf and shes wlike..so why are you getting it? just to use it for simple stuff. what a waste of money, you could save it or something.

so that got me thinking..great i had my mind set and then the guilt trip of spending 1500 on a powerbook comes in.

do i let the guilt get to me :) ehhehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
IMO the switch to Mac is all about the OS. Unless your pc's were running Linux, there is no way to rightly criticize a switch to Mac :p

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my server is running gentoo but im tired of desktops :D

T

TylerMoney

go for the powerbook. once your girl friend holds it in here hands, the world will change around her eyes.....or something like that. I don't know man...if you want a laptop, there really isn't any other way to go than mac in my opinion; their laptops are just so sweet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
wow, I have never met a girl who doesnt like mac.. unless her daddy got ahold of her first ;) then they are brainwashed to the power of the PC... sigh* girls are so impressionable.

J

jerodhusvar

Girls Dig Macs?

Graphite said:
wow, I have never met a girl who doesnt like mac.. unless her daddy got ahold of her first ;) then they are brainwashed to the power of the PC... sigh* girls are so impressionable.

My old iMac is slated for use by my daughter when she's a little older (she's two now.) She'll be learning to use Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. I want her ready for the world. :)

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Graphite said:
wow, I have never met a girl who doesnt like mac.. girls are so impressionable.

Gotta agree on that one. All chicks who have seen my 17" love it :D

J

jerodhusvar

ugh!

Strider said:
Gotta agree on that one. All chicks who have seen my 17" love it :D

There's a joke in there, but I think we're trying to stick to a "G" rating around here. :)

jjh

D

dziner

Get the Mac dude. It's your choice. You're using it - not her. My girlfriend bought a 12" Powerbook after her PC was always crashing. When we first met she was a PC user and hated Macs - she would always hate it when I said "well, if you had a Mac..."

Now she LOVES her Powerbook and absolutely hates PCs. You'll be happy with the Powerbook Ezekel. Let us know when you get it!

S

sirlan

Guilt be damned. It's your money so it's your decision.

Buy the powerbook if that's what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
jerodhusvar said:
There's a joke in there, but I think we're trying to stick to a "G" rating around here. :)

jjh

i dont get it... explain it to me...

:D

i figure with jokes like that, people who shouldn't hear them don't understand them, and people who can understand them can choose to ignore it or not.

humor is the light of my life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I don't really see what the joke is either, must be imagination based :)

D

dziner

Graphite said:
i dont get it... explain it to me...

The joke is the reference to the 17". As in a measure of masculinity. "Size matters". My mind is corrupted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
They tried to brainwash me, but it didn't work. I broke free from the Dark Side and got a Mac. :D

Graphite: For the record, not all girls are impressionable. I'm not. :)

M

markceltic

Get the powerbook & if by some chance she still doesn't like it get a new g/f to :D I'm so glad Beatles4Life that you're not the impressionable type.Can we hear from some more women, please.:)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1500 in cash :D oh boy..ehhehehee

N

Nightblade

Ezekel said:
iv been an avid pc user my entire like 10 yrs. im 19 now...anyway

i was talking to my gf about spending ~1500 on a powerbook to use for school chat email etc. im sellin off 2 of my desktops and i have cash on the side to pay for it.

im talkin to my gf and shes wlike..so why are you getting it? just to use it for simple stuff. what a waste of money, you could save it or something.

so that got me thinking..great i had my mind set and then the guilt trip of spending 1500 on a powerbook comes in.

do i let the guilt get to me :) ehhehe

Hehe, Ezekel, you should know better than to ask people on Mac-forums about what they think! You should ask people on a computer forum that contains about an equal number of active members who are PC users as active members who are Mac users. You could get them to have a debate, and then you decide from the debate. As for my opinion? Well, I have to know your PC's specs first. Simply saying it's a PC does not tell me anything. Technically, saying a computer's a Mac actually tells me MORE than saying a computer's a PC (since there are moret types PCs than Macs). What are its statistics?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
desktop 1:
p4 2.8c
1gb corsair 3200
9800 pro
p4p800 dlx

desk 2 shuttle sn45g
amd 3200+ barton
9600 aiw pro
512 ocz 3200

desk 3
sn35g
amd 2500+ barton

its just the thought of spending the money..i could go ibook but get a lower vid card..or get a pb and look sweet :)

N

Nightblade

Ezekel said:
desktop 1:
p4 2.8c
1gb corsair 3200
9800 pro
p4p800 dlx

desk 2 shuttle sn45g
amd 3200+ barton
9600 aiw pro
512 ocz 3200

desk 3
sn35g
amd 2500+ barton

its just the thought of spending the money..i could go ibook but get a lower vid card..or get a pb and look sweet :)

Well, as far as I can tell, you've got VERY good computers (well, at least the first one. I can't tell from the latter two, sorry). If you have a Pentium 4 on your desktop, then I assume it's running Windows XP. Alright, so you've got stability, speed, and a whole range of software. Do you really need to spend $1500 more? Nah. Macs are great, but I think that buying any new computer when you've already got a great one wouldn't be the best idea. I mean, if speed is an issue, then you might be disappointed by the iBook. Unless you really, REALLY, need to use OS X (like for video editing and such), I'd say keep what you've got. You're on a tight budget, so there's no need to stretch it further. It's possible you could regret buying the iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.