Boot-Up Question Mark Folder Impending Doom Question.

Reaction score
When I boot up I get the question mark folder for a split second, then it goes into regular boot and everything is fine. So this isn't really causing any problems, but I'm wondering if there is some impending doom that I should be prepared for....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When I boot up I get the question mark folder for a split second, then it goes into regular boot and everything is fine. So this isn't really causing any problems, but I'm wondering if there is some impending doom that I should be prepared for....

My guess is that you once had Boot Camp installed and you later removed it. If so, doing a PRAM reset should clear things up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Might not even need to do that.

System Preferences -> Startup Disk

Select your OS X folder, click the Lock and you should be all set

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
This has happened to me once or twice in the past after I was messing about with the startup disk... I think once it found the OS it set that disk to startup automatically and I've not had it happen since. But it was a while ago, so I might have fixed it manually... I can't remember :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.