.Mac: Is It Worth It

Reaction score
Hey all,
Im getting a MBP and I cant decide if I want or need .Mac. Im a new college student. What is it? Is it worthwhile? What do I get with it? Anyone have any experience?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'd say no. You get an email address and your contacts in the address book, a place up upload web pages, some online storage and the ability to sync contacts and bookmarks with other Macs, but I don't think there's enough there to justify the cost. I only use mine as an online photo album, I feel it was a waste of £70.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I think .Mac is really only worth it if you often use multiple Macs in different locations.

The core components (some online storage, an email account and some other software) can all be had for free from other places, but .Mac comes into it's own when you have to sync info between multiple Macs over long distances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Not too long ago Steve mentioned there would be a major update to the very neglected .Mac in the "very near future". I'm hoping we will see some good things coming out of .Mac by the end of the year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think .Mac is really only worth it if you often use multiple Macs in different locations.

The core components (some online storage, an email account and some other software) can all be had for free from other places, but .Mac comes into it's own when you have to sync info between multiple Macs over long distances.

I signed up for the 60 day trial recently. I've never been a fan of .Mac, but the ability to sync all of my stuff between my desktop and my iBook is actually quite nice. For this reason, I've more or less changed my mind about .Mac and will probably sign up for the full year when the trial ends. I too am hoping for a nice update shortly.

If you figure it out, $99/year = $8/month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I got .Mac free through work for ages (Apple has an offer for Apple reseller's employees who pass certain courses), which I really enjoyed using.

But it's limitation did frustrate me a bit, plus I was always switching Macs and didn't sync much.

In my current job, I have one dedicated work computer and really appreciate the sync - so I'll probably pony up when it's time to renew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i have a 60 day free trial of .mac i think i have about 20 days left. im going to buy the years package when it runs out. just for the email address and the storage space really mauy even start a webpage £70 isnt that much money over the 12 months really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
i have a 60 day free trial of .mac i think i have about 20 days left. im going to buy the years package when it runs out. just for the email address and the storage space really mauy even start a webpage £70 isnt that much money over the 12 months really.

Bear in mind that you can do those things for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.