How do I have wireless internet on a imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm not sure where to put this question so feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place. And am I asking to many qestions here of recent? I don't know. This'll be the last one for a while haha!

Well I have a 17" imac C2D at home. And it's upstairs in my room. And I have an ADSL 512K internet connection that runs from a telephone line wall socket down stairs, through a long cord which goes upstairs to a netcomm NB1300 Plus4 modem router thing. And from that is connected to my imac to the ethernet port. And on the telephone line end at the wall, it has a double adapter on it. For 2 phone lines. One to the router and the other to a phone.

Well that's the setup I am currently using. And I have a few questions because having that long trailing cord around most of my place (the cord is around 25 metres long) is annoying at times.

Is there any connection loss from having a really long as apposed to a short telephone cord to the router? I don't think so but I still would like an experts opinion on this.

Is there a way to make the whole set up wireless? From the phone line outlet on the wall to my imac.

If a wireless setup is possible would my internet speeds be affected?

What equipment would I need to make such a scenario possible?

And lastly is there any other possible options that might be better than the wireless one?

Thanks so much and if anyone requires any more info from me to answer these questions just ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I'm not sure where to put this question so feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place. And am I asking to many qestions here of recent? I don't know. This'll be the last one for a while haha!

Well I have a 17" imac C2D at home. And it's upstairs in my room. And I have an ADSL 512K internet connection that runs from a telephone line wall socket down stairs, through a long cord which goes upstairs to a netcomm NB1300 Plus4 modem router thing. And from that is connected to my imac to the ethernet port. And on the telephone line end at the wall, it has a double adapter on it. For 2 phone lines. One to the router and the other to a phone.

Well that's the setup I am currently using. And I have a few questions because having that long trailing cord around most of my place (the cord is around 25 metres long) is annoying at times.

Is there any connection loss from having a really long as apposed to a short telephone cord to the router? I don't think so but I still would like an experts opinion on this.

Is there a way to make the whole set up wireless? From the phone line outlet on the wall to my imac.

If a wireless setup is possible would my internet speeds be affected?

What equipment would I need to make such a scenario possible?

And lastly is there any other possible options that might be better than the wireless one?

Thanks so much and if anyone requires any more info from me to answer these questions just ask.

You need a wireless router and you'll be set. Your iMac has a built in Airport Extreme card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.