Trying to cancel new service problems

Reaction score
im trying to cancel service with att that i jus started and there telling me i have to return the phone to apple. is this true i want to give the phone to a friend of mine and he already is a att customer i dont want to return the phone. what should i tell them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
No, you paid retail for it, so there's nothing that ties the phone to your account and you don't have to return it. It's like wAlking into an AT&T store and paying retail for a RAZR without setting up phone service. The person you talked to is probably just used to telling people that who get phones subsidized by contract agreements. Tons of people bought iPhones just to sell on Ebay.

If they keep telling you that, just tell them you will to get them off your back.

OP
T
Reaction score
there trying to tell me If I don't return the phone to apple that I will get charged a cancellation fee. how would they even know I took the phone back to apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPhone
well if you activated the phone, they probably have some identifying information on it...a serial number or such that they can keep track of.

Buying an iPhone just to resell it is apparently different from buying an iPhone, activating it, cancelling then reselling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I still don't buy it. That's complete bull. I would scream to the highest person I could get on the phone. That is 100% bull for them to make you return something you paid 100% retail for and anyone off the street could do the same without any kind of contract.

Don't let them get away with it! Make them quote you the section of the contract that states this rule. If they have anything to read, it'll only be referring to subsidized phones whose price is tied to contract agreements and the iPhone is not that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
as fleurya put it, you bought the phone. it is fully yours. you can do with it whatever you want.

but you will get charged a cancellation fee if you did start a contract when activating the phone. you signed up for two years worth of service at activation so to break that you must pay.

Reaction score
as fleurya put it, you bought the phone. it is fully yours. you can do with it whatever you want.

but you will get charged a cancellation fee if you did start a contract when activating the phone. you signed up for two years worth of service at activation so to break that you must pay.

Not so. If you are new to AT&T you have 30 days to try out their network. You can cancel within 30 days and they will waive the cancellation fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Tons of people bought iPhones just to sell on Ebay.

If they keep telling you that, just tell them you will to get them off your back.
Those people never activated the phone probably, but who knows
Make them quote you the section of the contract that states this rule
AT&T iPhone Terms of Service said:
Credit approval required. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T’s owned network coverage area. An early termination fee of $175 applies if service is terminated before the end of the contract term. If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 14 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived.

It is in the contract, so if it isn't returned you get boned for $175.

iPhone Terms and Conditions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, i stand corrected. so, why buy a phone at full retail and then try to sell it on ebay? (oh, those few idiots out there who will pay more than retail!!)

if i don't like AT&T service, i can cancel and return the iPhone up to 3 to 14 days and get a refund and not pay the termination fee. under three days and i HAVE TO return the iPhone or get charged the fee. other than that, like all apple products, it is now mine and no refund. at 30 days, i am stuck with the iPhone and contract.

from the same iPhone Terms and Conditions webpage.
If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 14 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. Service may be cancelled after 14 days but within 30 days and early termination fee will be waived, but equipment may not be returned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An early termination fee of $175 applies if service is terminated before the end of the contract term. If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 14 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived.

As I was trying to say before this is protection for the providers for phones they subsidize. It shouldn't apply to the iPhone at all. Since Apple and AT&T have differing time periods, it looks like you can get away with it after all. Just wait past 14 days and before 30 days. You can cancel the service with no ETF and they can't make you take it back because Apple won't accept it. Problem solved!

If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 14 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. Service may be cancelled after 14 days but within 30 days and early termination fee will be waived, but equipment may not be returned

You'll just lose the $36 activation fee since you don't have to worry about the restocking fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
depends on when the OP activated his iPhone. less than three days, return. between 3-14 days, return and cancel. assuming he bought it on the 29th or 30th and activated soon after, he would fall under the second category.

fluera is correct on just waiting for the magic 15-30 days after activation, then it is yours to do with as you please.

i wonder what happens if you don't activate for a month after purchase. is the apple 14 day return policy in effect? can't return at all if that is the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.