POP3 and G-mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
Having switched from my PC months ago, I've final decided to ditch my hotmail account as the HTTP mail plug in I have keeps playing up. It keeps asking for my password which is in keychains, looking around it seems it's a bug in mail. I can't use my isp's pop3 address as I can't send E-mail via their smtp server unless I'm on my home account and I use my lap top all over the place.

I need a large mail account which I can visit on line and use with mail. I've looked at a mac.com address, but as I have my own domain it's no good as it doesn't allow me to set my own E-mail address.

Has anybody used G-mail? Is it reliable, I guess I can use it's smtp server to send mail from any where. If not can you recommend an alternative?

GP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You need to rehost your domain some place where they let you set up your own e-mail. I've done this and it works great, makes life a lot easier and I can use my e-mail on my iBook while on the road.

G-Mail works fine as well. I have an account that I can access from both my computers (send/receive), although I don;t use it that often. Their instructions for making it work with Apple Mail are pretty good and it's easy to set up. You also get the advantage of being able to check it on-line from any computer with Web access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
hi there,

yes i use gmail, i find it really good as i can view it both from online and from mail. also you can archive your mail through the website meaning you will never lose your important emails. i ditched my hotmail for gmail a couple months ago as i kept receiving junk email. also it is really easy to set up with apple mail.

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
I really love gmail and am a bit of a fanboy of most google products in general. That said, I think the features gmail provides are spectacular, and even Apple could possibly learn a thing or 2 from some of gmails interface elements.

That said, I've been only mildly lucky setting up gmail with OSX iMail or whatever. I have managed to download all 8000+ messages in my gmail account, however none of my folders (aka lables) show up. So I basically have 8049 new email messages in my inbox. It's annoying. I was/am hoping not to have to go through and set up all of my folders/filters/etc, but I am pretty sure I'm going to have to.

Also, dumb question: If I send an email though iMail on my mac using my gmail account, will it add to the "sent items" in the web version of gmail automatically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) It's Mail, not iMail.

2) I'm pretty sure it does. I don't check my Google Mail on-line much, but last time I looked there was bunch of sent stuff that could only have come from sending mail from Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
i prefer gmail over any other 'free' email site. i have it setup on all 3 of my laptops along with my moto q phone.

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
Guys,

As always thanks for your help and suggestions. In the end I've managed to get my domain host to offer full e-mail for £14 a year. Thanks Baggss for the idea.

GP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.