Most annoying thing about Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Well, after a few 'favorite features' and 'top 10 reasons to buy' threads, it might be fair to have one of these :) Im sure it'll only be minor things

For switchers only, what are the differences between Windows (assuming most people who switch are used to windows) and Mac OS X Tiger that you find annoying rather than pleasant? Post it here, and maybe they can even be fixed with a hidden setting or tweak!

(P.S. No posts about programs that dont work eg)

(For experienced users, you can help if you like by identifying annoyances that can actually be fixed by a pref or setting somewhere)

Heres mine:
  • I dont like the way windows refuse to maximize, sometimes I just want a window to cover the whole screen even if it doesnt need to be that big
  • I dont like how all open programs are in the dock. e.g. Google Desktop, which does nothing until you press the Apple key twice, still takes up valuable dock space.
  • I would have liked to move finder to another place on the Dock.

Reaction score
Not sure it's really a bad thing, but I think I still have to pay attention when closing apps in Windows and OS X to make sure I did it correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ge64 said:
Heres mine:
I dont like the way windows refuse to maximize, sometimes I just want a window to cover the whole screen even if it doesnt need to be that big
I dont like how all open programs are in the dock. e.g. Google Desktop, which does nothing until you press the Apple key twice, still takes up valuable dock space.
I would have liked to move finder to another place on the Dock.

Well we're off to a good start then :)

- Maximize issue: Megazoomr
- Remove running apps from the dock: Dockless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Pressing 'Enter' when you have an app highlighted in finder renames it rather than opening it.

and

No 'Cut and Paste'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The one I can think of is when you use spotlight, it is not always obvious where the file is immediately - you may just need to know the location of a file, rather than want to launch it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Just the slowness you can suffer if you have a few programs open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well, after a few 'favorite features' and 'top 10 reasons to buy' threads, it might be fair to have one of these :) Im sure it'll only be minor things

For switchers only, what are the differences between Windows (assuming most people who switch are used to windows) and Mac OS X Tiger that you find annoying rather than pleasant? Post it here, and maybe they can even be fixed with a hidden setting or tweak!

(P.S. No posts about programs that dont work eg)

(For experienced users, you can help if you like by identifying annoyances that can actually be fixed by a pref or setting somewhere)

Heres mine:
  • I dont like the way windows refuse to maximize, sometimes I just want a window to cover the whole screen even if it doesnt need to be that big
  • I dont like how all open programs are in the dock. e.g. Google Desktop, which does nothing until you press the Apple key twice, still takes up valuable dock space.
  • I would have liked to move finder to another place on the Dock.

I don't find the maximize thing to be an issue. It was a little strange at first, but after I manually resized safari to cover almost the whole screen, we haven't had any arguements since.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
I agree on the cut & paste, and the enter when selected part as well.

Also on my (normal) keyboard the Home and End keys dont work, and on the MBP keyboard I havent find out how to work them either... and I use them pretty often when i correct a mistake in a sentence to skip back to the end and continue typing...

Well we're off to a good start then :)

- Maximize issue: Megazoomr
- Remove running apps from the dock: Dockless

Thanks, thats what i was secretly hoping for :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
I dont like the maximize thing, i dont like when i press the x button to close an app that the app is not quiting, pressing enter renames and last but not least no CUT!! >.<
Now im used to those things but still cut is a big big prob -.-"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The one I can think of is when you use spotlight, it is not always obvious where the file is immediately - you may just need to know the location of a file, rather than want to launch it.
A workaround:
Instead of 'Command+Space' hit 'Option+Command+Space'.

This will open the extended spotlight results window. Then enter your search and use the arrow keys to scroll to your result. Hit 'Command+R' and it'll show you the file in Finder.

It seems like a lot to remember, but it's actually quite convenient when you get used to it. Command+R will work in a lot of other apps as well.

Or just use Quicksilver of course :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree on the cut & paste, and the enter when selected part as well.

Also on my (normal) keyboard the Home and End keys dont work, and on the MBP keyboard I havent find out how to work them either... and I use them pretty often when i correct a mistake in a sentence to skip back to the end and continue typing...
On my german keyboard, 'Command+ left/right arrow' jump to the beginning or end of a sentence.

Reaction score
No Cut & Paste?

Huh?

No Cut & Paste ???

How can that be?

NO CUT AND PASTE !!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I will die without that

how am i ment to do my homework?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
You CAN Cut and Paste text. But not applications or files. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
NO CUT AND PASTE !!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I will die without that

how am i ment to do my homework?

*cough* Title27GT *cough*!

Reaction score
what do you mean?

can i copy off a webpage and paste onto a word processor?
like he said, you can copy/cut and paste text in between applications, but you can't cut an actual file in Finder and paste it to a different location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.