• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Possible internet scam?

OP
J
Reaction score
Paypal may very well be the anti-christ. I asked the guy for his "shippers" address and he said he will provide that after I give him all my personal info. I am ditching him. Anybody want a nice iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience with Paypal. I once had a seller who never shipped product. They promptly refunded after a few business days.

Just recently, I had a seller that I paid immediately set his eBay store on "away" after the transaction had been processed. He claimed to not be returning until 11/07 (this was in 5/07). Paypal promptly refunded the charge.

That's not to say that I have absolute faith in them, but I have yet to have an issue thus far.

That's the problem, they do nothing to protect the seller but do anything to return the buyer's money. You could probably buy something for $1000 and a day or two later, dispute it as non receipt and get you money back and still keep the product. You could probably do this over and over again and paypal would probably refund your money everytime, leaving the seller out for the money for the transaction and the product he sent to you.

OP
J
Reaction score
I got burned by a buyer awhile back, I sold him an iMac G4 that he claimed was damaged. I told him to send pics and we would see what needed to be done to file and insurance claim. He demanded an immediate refund without sending any pictures of the computer. When I told him not without seeing it first he filed a claim with pp. Long story short they sided with him and now I got a broke iMac setting here. I spent a lot of time reading user agreements and paypal went against its own policies in doing this. With my seller status on Ebay the most protection Paypal says it can offer is $200. The refunded the whole $465. Not good business in my opinion, I won't use them again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Paypal has always been very smooth for me. Hmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT
No. No. and NO. Don't deal with this person. They are 100% a scammer. I've been on eBay since 2000 and have seen every kind of scam. This screams scam as loud as anything.

OP
J
Reaction score
Nah, I told them this was all a little too fishy for me. If he wanted to buy in the states why wouldn't he just send his "shipper" the money and have him deal with me?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.