Wireless Networking FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My setup is as follows:
ADSL Connection to NetComm modem
Modem connected to Time Capsule 500GB
Wireless network established to Time Capsule using Airport Utility (WPA2/Personal)/using DHCP.
Wirelessly connecting iMac 24inch and MBPro.

The line has been tested and is not faulty. All hardware has been tested (the Time Capsule functioned perfectly over 3 days at the MacShop with several devices). The modem is brand new and not faulty.

The issue I am having is that one computer tends to 'dominate' the wireless connection, causing the other computer to lose connectivity/speed. It still says it is connected, but speeds drop dramatically.

For example, I commenced a download on MBPro and was getting 120kb/s. Then my husband turned the iMac on and started browsing. As he did that, I watched the speed drop very quickly on my download, to 7kb/s and finally it just stopped. As soon as he shuts down, the download speed comes back up.

The interim solution we have is that he has plugged an ethernet cable between the iMac and the Time Capsule. I can now browse wirelessly on the MBPro without any issues, but in the near future we will be introducing 2 work laptops (PC) onto the network and need to be able to connect wirelessly without conflict.

A similar issue was addressed in another thread, and the suggestion was to change the wireless channel. Is this likely to work?

Thanks.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes that would be my first suggestion as well.

Reaction score
im having a nightmare at the moment i want to go wireless with my imac g4 1ghz using a 10mb virgin broadband but it seems theres nothing i can do, i went to applestore and they gave me the wrong airport card and then said i couldnt get one for mine, i then went to argos and bought a linksys wifi dongle which argos said was mac compatible which it blatantly isnt.i even rang macwarehouse.com and they didnt know. i just want to go wireless and cheap man!!!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im having a nightmare at the moment i want to go wireless with my imac g4 1ghz using a 10mb virgin broadband but it seems theres nothing i can do, i went to applestore and they gave me the wrong airport card and then said i couldnt get one for mine, i then went to argos and bought a linksys wifi dongle which argos said was mac compatible which it blatantly isnt.i even rang macwarehouse.com and they didnt know. i just want to go wireless and cheap man!!!

You just need a PPC Mac-compatible network card. Check this one out:

nNano 802.11 n Upgrade for USB Macs

Reaction score
Yes please, give that a shot. I've seen a few circumstances where just switching the encryption fixed the problem. WPA2 is stronger yet than WPA, so it's only going to benefit you in the long run.

Ok, I finally got around to changing the security to WPA2 and I still have no connection to my MacBook Pro. However, like before, both PC laptops and Wii are able to connect just fine.

Is there a way I can hard-reset my wireless router and start all over from scratch? Or once it is set-up to a network will it automatically save all settings?

What about manually setting DNS addresses and/or MAC addresses? Maybe even setting up static IP address, although I know nothing about this?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just missing my Mac right now :\

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I finally got around to changing the security to WPA2 and I still have no connection to my MacBook Pro. However, like before, both PC laptops and Wii are able to connect just fine.

Very weird. I'm starting to wonder if your MacBook Pro just has a faulty wi-fi card.

Is there a way I can hard-reset my wireless router and start all over from scratch? Or once it is set-up to a network will it automatically save all settings?

Yes. Most routers have a recessed reset button somewhere on the device. Usually you'll need to press it with a paperclip or a pen tip. In most cases, this is done by unplugging the power to the router. Then, press and hold the reset button. Continue holding and insert the power cord. Hold for thirty seconds and release. It should now be at factory defaults.

What about manually setting DNS addresses and/or MAC addresses? Maybe even setting up static IP address, although I know nothing about this?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just missing my Mac right now :\

It's not a DNS or IP addressing issue if the machine just won't connect. DNS translates names to IP addresses. DHCP issues a private IP address to devices that are connected to the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
Okay, I'm a bit confused as to what to do, so here goes:

I have two computers, a Power Mac G4 and an iBook. The iBook can connect perfectly to my internet connection at home, and I've used it in several other US states and internationally with great success.

Just today, I got an AirPort card for the Power Mac G4. I'd been using one of those USB adaptors on it, and it worked pretty well, except that late at night the signal would cut out completely and not connect at all. With a bit of help from my parents, I installed the AirPort card and switched on the Power Mac to make sure it had installed okay. However, when I went to try and connect to the existing DSL network in my house, the set up software kept telling me either "incorrect password" or "AirPort could not connect to the internet." I tried rescanning it several times, changing the security settings, and even moving my iBook out of the way and putting the Power Mac on a deskchair in an attempt to boost the signal.

The router we have is made by 2Wire, and I seem to recall that when I first got my iBook, I had some trouble getting Airport to work.

But the thing that baffles me the most is that the Power Mac doesn't see the 2Wire router or any of the other wireless cards in our house at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
File sharing between my G5 and my MacBookPro

Hi, is there anyone who knows the solution to this dilemma. I have looked at a lot of posts on this forum relating my scenario, and there are clearly many people with the same issue, but solutions seem to be in short supply. I recently bought a MacbookPro. I already own a G5, which is my main office machine. The MBP was bought so that I could work in another area of the house. Filesharing is the one thing I need. When I first opened the fileshare option, and for one session only, it worked, and I was able to see the G5 from the MBP. But the next time I opened up the MBP I couldn't. Subsequently, I had advice from one very helpful person but to no avail. Now I am losing the will to live! I am reluctant to FIDDLE too much as this is like sticking your hands into a wasp's nest in the dark. It will end in tears!! Is this perhaps something that Apple's help team could resolve,… at a price no doubt?
Any advice would be appreciated

Reaction score
The perfect connection ?

Hi all,
I'm experiencing a strange issue on an iMac with Leopard of a friend of mine.
I've configured a secure wireless connection to a netgear ADSL modem/router and it worked fine.
Trying "what if I switch off the modem ?", answer:"it was possible to continue to navigate because the iMac autonomously used one of the non-secure connections in range". In the Airport connection setting dialog-box there is a switch (can't remember the label) that seems to influence the behaviour of the imac for this kind of situation, but setting or re-setting the switch doesn't solve the issue.
Obviously it's a security issue, if the box uses a non-secure connection without asking anything.
Any idea to solve this issue ?
Thank you
Rob

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi all,
I'm experiencing a strange issue on an iMac with Leopard of a friend of mine.
I've configured a secure wireless connection to a netgear ADSL modem/router and it worked fine.
Trying "what if I switch off the modem ?", answer:"it was possible to continue to navigate because the iMac autonomously used one of the non-secure connections in range". In the Airport connection setting dialog-box there is a switch (can't remember the label) that seems to influence the behaviour of the imac for this kind of situation, but setting or re-setting the switch doesn't solve the issue.
Obviously it's a security issue, if the box uses a non-secure connection without asking anything.
Any idea to solve this issue ?
Thank you
Rob

What kind of security is the router using?

Reaction score
This was helpful but I bought an N router. Two of my computers are PC's and have g cards. They work fine. My Macbook which has an n card connects to internet sites (especially https sites) very slowly. The router I bought is a Netgear WNR2000. I've changed channels. The Mac works fine with and ethernet connection. One suggestion from Apple is to have the router set for g speeds (54 bit). Does this make sense? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Elliot

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was helpful but I bought an N router. Two of my computers are PC's and have g cards. They work fine. My Macbook which has an n card connects to internet sites (especially https sites) very slowly. The router I bought is a Netgear WNR2000. I've changed channels. The Mac works fine with and ethernet connection. One suggestion from Apple is to have the router set for g speeds (54 bit). Does this make sense? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Elliot

Not really, especially since unless the router is a high end model, it's already scaled back to 'g' speeds because you have other 'g' devices on the network.

Are there any settings for QoS (Quality of Service)?

pds

Reaction score
Setup:

Landlord running wireless for his 2 Macs upstairs. I have my Macbook and a PC downstairs.

My Macbook is only receiving intermittent internet. All of the other computers are just fine. There are no cordless phones in the house and the microwaves are a far distance from both the routers and the computers.

I receive full signal strength, but when I try to get to a site, it doesn't load. A few minutes later, it's fine. It also crashes when I go to sleep and I have to run the diagnostics in the morning in order for it to work again.

I'd say that it crashes at least twice an hour, sometimes more. It's never down for more than a couple of minutes, but for someone who likes to stream video, it's annoying!

A similar thing happens when I am on my school campus as well. The internet crashes every few minutes, despite my having full bars.

Help!

Edit to add: I took my Macbook in and they replaced the wireless card, but didn't do extensive testing. They said everything was just fine

Edit again to add: The signal crashed while trying to post my edit. Classic.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds more like the router than the the client. What brand/model is it? Is the firmware up to date? What form of security is it using?

pds

Reaction score
Sounds more like the router than the the client. What brand/model is it? Is the firmware up to date? What form of security is it using?

I have no idea. It is password protected though. But why would all of the other computers (including two other Macs) be ok but not me?

And why would it only work intermittently at my school too?

Reaction score
So I have a macbook and am having some trouble staying connected to the internet, especially while streaming videos. Whenever the connections stops, I have to click the airport icon from the dropdown menu and reselect our network. This usually makes it work but sometimes I have to turn airport off then back on again. This gets rather annoying especially when I have to keep doing every couple minutes. I live in a house with a couple other guys who have pc's and they are having no problems. We have a belkin router. I am kind of a rookie at this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Reaction score
What kind of security is the router using?

Sorry for my late, the kind of security is WPA but I can't understand how does it relate to the issue that the mac autonomously connects to open wireles networks in range.
Anyway, thanks for helping me

ny

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry for my late, the kind of security is WPA but I can't understand how does it relate to the issue that the mac autonomously connects to open wireles networks in range.
Anyway, thanks for helping me

ny

Go to System Preferences / Network

Highlight Airport on the left side
Go to 'Advanced...'
Select the Airport tab at the top
Remove all the networks listed in the box (except their own) by highlighting them and then hit the "-" button below.
To keep it from happening again, remove the check from 'Remember any network..."
Hit the 'OK' button
Back at the previous page now, put a check mark next to 'Ask to join new networks'

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Folks, I'm going to close this thread, since it's not really supposed to be an avenue for seeking tech support, but rather to answer frequently asked questions. If you have an issue with wireless networking and you've already stepped through the FAQ, please create a new thread.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.