Networking Printers FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Trouble accessing maintenance

Hi, I just recently bought a airport extreme and have an emac, imac, mbp, and two mb running off the network as well as a Cannon iP3000 printer (plugged into the airport USB port). Printing has worked fine, but I need to access the maintenance for my printer and am unable to. I have installed all drivers (compatible with 10.4) but cant seem to access the maintenance options in printer utility.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Newbe Question: Print via Print Server

I have three Windows/XP machines in my home LAN, all connected to a LinkSys Wireless-G router/hub. I have a HP printer connected to the main machine, and via the LAN can print from all three so long as the main machine and the router/hub is powered up.

Now I have a Mac running OS-X 10.4, and the opportunity to purchase a HP JetDirect 500X print server. It would connect to the router/hub via Ethernet, and the printer would connect to the print serve via parallel port.

The printer is on the list of those supported by Gutenprint.

So, will this mash-up work? Any cautions, cares, or concerns?

Thanks!!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It should be fine. You'll need to configure the JetDirect with an IP address and then add it as an LPD printer on the Mac. On the Windows machines, it will be even simpler. You can take the existing printer as it is mapped right now, go into the properties and into the Ports tab. Then, simply add a new port, specify the IP address of the print server and go.

That's the beauty of Windows port handling. It doesn't care how the printer is configured physically, you just point it to a port and you're good to go. I wish I could say the same of OS X, but Apple has yet to address this issue. I was hoping they would with Leopard, and I continue to hope they will with Snow Leopard - particularly if they intend to compete in the enterprise. With new dumbed-down printers become more and more popular, it's going to be even more critical that they get a better system in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.