AIM for mac stability issues

Reaction score
I am having trouble using the aol instant messenger progam for mac. It crashes about every 5 min. Any one else have these problems? what can i do if anything to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
AIM for Mac is horrible. You're best bet it to use iChat or a 3rd party program called Adium. iChat wouldn't work for me for some reason, but Adium is excellent.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am having trouble using the aol instant messenger progam for mac. It crashes about every 5 min. Any one else have these problems? what can i do if anything to fix this?

Have you considered using an alternative to AIM that is fully compatible? iChat can be used to log into and use your AIM account, but it's pretty solid - the best part is, it's already installed on your machine.

In addition, there are a number of other clients like Adium that can use multiple chat networks, AIM being one of them.

IMO, AOL's software has always been - ahem - less than well-made. I wouldn't bother trying to fix what is inherently broken.

OP
M
Reaction score
intaresting i was not a where that ichat would work with my aim account. I never liked aim anyway. Just another reason why i am loving my new mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Yeah, I switched to Macs for a few big reasons, but after the switch, I found many little things I would have never thought of and was pleasantly surprised with.

OP
M
Reaction score
Lol i set up ichat to use my aim account and its so much better. I cant believe that i have used windows so long before switching to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I switched to adium a few months ago and felt stupid for not looking for an aim alternative sooner, I guess i've just been scarred for life by windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
ichat all the way...

Reaction score
AIM for Mac is horrible. You're best bet it to use iChat or a 3rd party program called Adium. iChat wouldn't work for me for some reason, but Adium is excellent.

yeahh heyy im new too. so what is it, aim is horrble for mac? so thus it wont work?

oh andd, would u know any other chat software where you could use a mic so u can talk to other ppl with hearing their voice, bec adium dont have that option -or maybe i dont knw how yet..

thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
yeahh heyy im new too. so what is it, aim is horrble for mac? so thus it wont work?

oh andd, would u know any other chat software where you could use a mic so u can talk to other ppl with hearing their voice, bec adium dont have that option -or maybe i dont knw how yet..

thanks!

I take it you missed the part where pretty much everyone said either use iChat instead or Adium. Both connect to the AIM network, but are much better programs.

Reaction score
I take it you missed the part where pretty much everyone said either use iChat instead or Adium. Both connect to the AIM network, but are much better programs.

ummm what im looking for is something that would actually make me have an Audio chat. i guess i missed out on saying i have adium. n correct me if im wrong, im not sure, ichat charges.

M

MacHeadCase

Nope iChat does not charge: whoever told you that didn't get their facts right at all. iChat does audio, video chat and text messaging.

Reaction score
Nope iChat does not charge: whoever told you that didn't get their facts right at all. iChat does audio, video chat and text messaging.

oh ok thank you soo much!! i jus have one question, how do i get it running? bec i searched for it on the laptop right, and it directed me online to get a .mac acct n in d process was asking for a credit card.. so where do i open ichat? sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.