Argh! Lost all my bookmarks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
So earlier I decided I would be hardcore and change the icons to all my favorite apps and folders, including Safari. I sit back basking in the glow of my own brilliance having successfully aesthetically enhanced my computing experience, when suddenly I open Safari to find all of my beloved bookmarks missing! BEGADS!

I have scrounged around looking for them, but there appears to be nary a trace, even in Firefox which had all of the same bookmarks. I am rather upset now.

Help anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hmm, that's odd - it shouldn't have changed your bookmarks.

Your bookmarks are stored here: ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist. Check to see if you have that file, and if you do and it's in that folder, it must've been emptied somehow.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, that's odd - it shouldn't have changed your bookmarks.

Your bookmarks are stored here: ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist. Check to see if you have that file, and if you do and it's in that folder, it must've been emptied somehow.

Hm. I noticed the other day I didn't have a Safari folder in my Library. I had to make one. I used Spotlight to find the file, but it didn't have any of my bookmarks on it.

Also when I opened iChat i had to put my screen name in again and set it up like I had never used it. Now my Mail has reset! What's going on! It didn't completely reset, it deleted all but two mail folder...

It seems it messed up random weird things. should I move this thread to support or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hm. I noticed the other day I didn't have a Safari folder in my Library. I had to make one. I used Spotlight to find the file, but it didn't have any of my bookmarks on it.

Also when I opened iChat i had to put my screen name in again and set it up like I had never used it. Now my Mail has reset! What's going on! It didn't completely reset, it deleted all but two mail folder...

It seems it messed up random weird things. should I move this thread to support or something?

^^ Not good at all.

If you had to make your Safari folder, then your bookmarks are gone. Changing icons SHOULD NOT delete a whole folder. You must've done something wrong.

Now that you've changed your settings again, go back and make a copy of the Library folder. Store it on a external HD, or something reliable.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ Not good at all.

If you had to make your Safari folder, then your bookmarks are gone. Changing icons SHOULD NOT delete a whole folder. You must've done something wrong.

Now that you've changed your settings again, go back and make a copy of the Library folder. Store it on a external HD, or something reliable.

I noticed my Safari folder wasn't there long before all this happened. any idea what could cause all of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I noticed my Safari folder wasn't there long before all this happened. any idea what could cause all of this?

If you had bookmarks visible, it should've been there. Honestly, I can't say what your problem is. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Sorry.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you had bookmarks visible, it should've been there. Honestly, I can't say what your problem is. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Sorry.

No worries. thanks anyway :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you rename the User Account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Moved to correct forum

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you rename the User Account?

Crap. Know what? I did. I changed the name by the little house symbol with my user name. It won't let me change it back now. Says my old name is taken

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Crap. Know what? I did. I changed the name by the little house symbol with my user name. It won't let me change it back now. Says my old name is taken

Then everything should be there on the other account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Sorry to hear that. I figured it was something other than changing your icons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.