audio interface for recording

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I want to do some vocal audio recording on my Macbook Pro, the standard audio line in is not producing good audio quality when I record using a compressor mic and preamp. I was wondering, could anyone recommend a firewire audio interface that I could use for just recording audio from one mic? I have heard of a firebox but am unsure of what it is, anyway, thanks alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25gb RAM, G4 PowerBook 1.67GHZ, 2gb RAM
I would suggest an MBox from Digidesign. You can get the package that comes with ProTools LE and be all set to go. I've used this set up and it's a good solid one if you're only looking for 2 channels.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, I am looking for something on a budget, i dont really need software, ill just use garageband for recording. I need something on the cheapside, preferably between 90-150.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
OP
R
Reaction score
that looks great, now with that device would I bypass the preamp I already have? because it seems to have mic jacks already on the device.

Reaction score
I actually just faced the same dilemma except i wanted to do instrumental recordings on my mbp. I found a product called Lightsnake made by Soundtech (www.soundtech.com). It runs about $40US and is basically an xlr to usb connection that converts the signal to digital through the cable. At first I wasnt sure how well it would work because I had read about some ppl having problems with it, but It has worked flawlessly for me especially in GarageBand. It is striaght plug and play setup. Pretty awesome sound quality for the price! They also make a 1/4" to usb version as well for guitars and such.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.