Any Robberies yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Just wondering. I know that when the iPod first came out A LOT of people were robbed for them. It seemed like everyday on the news they would have a story about someone getting mugged for their ipod. Has anyone heard of anyone being mugged for their iPhone yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
There is a video on break.com of a reporter outside an apple store where everyone is waiting and she was interviewing a guy who was one of 4 to receive an iphone before the release date. Well some guy walks behind them and grabs the reporters microphone and missed the iphone haha! They had some security tackle the guy, it was pretty entertaining!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Yeah, i seen that video before. It was pretty funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Actually, that was really was going for the mic. They found out later. Plus I guess you can hear him say "give me that mic".

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Do you have a reliable source for this?

Are you kidding? You don't remember how many people were robbed for their iPods? Maybe it was just a New York thing because i know it was on the news frequently. They even said that the white headphones were a give away so many people switched to black headphones.

Reaction score
I remember hearing about that here in Denver. I just heard about it happening mainly in New York, people riding on the subway near the doors. People would be wearing the trademark white headphones and people getting off the trains would grab the Ipod just as they would walk out the door and have themselves an Ipod. People were using non Apple headphones while out in public after this was happening.

Reaction score
I have thought the same thing and a feature to safe guard against people stealing theses phones is for AT&T to e-activate the phones with a lock to your number. meaning it can only be unlocked by your account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I remember hearing about that here in Denver. I just heard about it happening mainly in New York, people riding on the subway near the doors. People would be wearing the trademark white headphones and people getting off the trains would grab the Ipod just as they would walk out the door and have themselves an Ipod. People were using non Apple headphones while out in public after this was happening.

Yea, it happened a bunch of times in Chicago. I was reading the newspaper about some guy that got punched right as the train doors were opening. The thief punched the victim and knocked the guy out for a few seconds and walked off with the victims PSP.
The only news on TV I ever hear is about hackers getting into the iPhone. No theft yet.
Bryan

JRV

Reaction score
I also heard about the iPod thefts. For a while the news was recommending that people buy black headphones so the iPod wouldn't be noticeable. That was a while ago though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Are you kidding? You don't remember how many people were robbed for their iPods? Maybe it was just a New York thing because i know it was on the news frequently. They even said that the white headphones were a give away so many people switched to black headphones.

So, no, you don't have a reliable source. You could have just said so.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8309

The Telegraph claims iPod Web sites have received "numerous reports" claiming users have been targeted by such criminals. Macworld has even received phone calls in recent days, including from the BBC and ITV asking if we are aware of any such incidents. We are not. In the end the BBC dropped its planned report as it could find no one to back-up the story.

The press delights in carrying stories of so-called Rolex robberies, where wearers of the expensive Swiss watches are targeted by criminal gangs.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
You can do a google search for "iPod Robberies" and many news articles will come up. And as you can see from other posts, MANY of people remember these robberies too. Im not sure where you live but it seems in big cities there were a lot of ipods being stolen. I am not talking about currently, but 2 or 3 years ago this was happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
There were actually THOUSANDS of robberies the day the iPhone was released!!! There are still more and more everyday, the odd thing is that EVERY victim is being robbed of either $499 or $599... nothing in between, lower or higher.

:D

Sorry, just couldn't help myself! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
There were actually THOUSANDS of robberies the day the iPhone was released!!! There are still more and more everyday, the odd thing is that EVERY victim is being robbed of either $499 or $599... nothing in between, lower or higher.

:D

Sorry, just couldn't help myself! ;D

I enjoy having been robbed, every day apparently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Well I can look on the bright side, I can't get robbed until mid 2008 when the iPhone is released here in OZ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
ditto. It replaces my need for a laptop, a new phone with gps, and the need to carry a phone and an iPod seperately. Granted its expensive for a phone but it saved me from purchasing a laptop and I can sell my iPod and phone for decent cash.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.