apple ram vs kensington ram

Reaction score
Im new to mac, and bought a 24' imac.

I have just bought 2 gigs of ram from apple at great expence.

I have now seen on this website that I should have bought "Kensington" ram as it so much cheeper

Now my questain to you is, is there any advantge of apple ram vs kensington ram, assuming the price is the same.

Thanks, I just hope your answers will help me feel a bit better and that I have not wasted my money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, you could get into brand quality issues, but you can use any generic RAM matching the required specs on Intel-based Macs. Chances are Apple's RAM comes from one of those major brands anyway. I'm sure somebody on here know exactly what brand of RAM Apple uses.

Sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
First thing you need to know is that Apple does not make RAM. I know they have used RAM by Samsung in the past, but I am uncertain of what they are currently using.

That being said, you could have gone to www.macsales.com or www.crucial.com and purchased great quality ram a a lesser price. Sorry if that doesn't make you feel any better, but look at them in the future. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It doesn't help you out now, but in the future you should just not buy anything 3rd party from Apple. Apple is great, but they tend to mark up their stuff beyond most retailers. I personally don't even buy anything tech from retail stores any more as you can almost always get it cheaper online. If it's something I would like to see first-hand, I'll check it out at a big box store, then go home and buy it online.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok I will put it down to beginers bad luck, money wasted

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
I just worked on a 24" imac and a mac mini and they were both samsung memory. I have always had the good luck with both Kensington value ram and crucial. Im running Kensington Value Ram in my macmini and ibook right now and there are no problems.

I have used both these brands in many of my computers. Some of my older PCs that are still running these sticks and its been 7+ years...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.