New to Mac-need help with clearing clutter

Reaction score
When I owned a PC I was always scanning it for viruses and adware. While at one of my lessons at the Apple store, I was told how to "clean up" my Macbook and was told to do so every two weeks are so. I have forgot how to do this; where do I go on my Macbook to clean-up/scan my computer. I am looking to get rid of the clutter on the computer. I know how to clear the private data under tools, but what her showed me was something different.

Sorry if this is such a basic question; have pity on a newbie!

Reaction score
There is a program out there called "XSlimmer" sorry I dont have a link.

I could be wrong on this explination of how it works, but here is how it was explained to me. Generally all mac programs have an executable file which can be run on either a pre-intel mac, or the new mac's. The program is smart enough to determine which version of the file it needs to run and does so. XSlimmer will clear up the unused files and will create a nice chunk of free space.

A little confusing but hopefully you can understand what I'm getting at.

OP
P
Reaction score
I am not looking for a program, what I am looking for is something built into the computer. It was just a few clicks and the computer kind of scanned itself and freed up the clutter.

Sorry I can't explain it better than that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.