• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for Solution to Portable Internet

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for a solution for receiving Internet, preferably on my Powerbook, while on the road, for limited traveling. The monthly subscriptions are too much for limited use, but would like to pay as I go, or a small monthly, or just use my cell as a modem, using cell minutes.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Get the iPhone and make a wireless network between the two. In theory it sounds possible. I would think you could do it with any smart phone that's always connected to the internet.
Bryan

Reaction score
You could technically just "pay as you go" by not signing up for a plan and just using your phone's data capability. I don't think it's possible to use your cell minutes, especially since most cell plans have unlimited nights and weekends. I say stick with an EVDO provider such as Sprint or Verizon and use their service sparingly.

Or steal free wifi, your choice ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The iPhone doesn't allow tethering

OP
L
Reaction score
You could technically just "pay as you go" by not signing up for a plan and just using your phone's data capability. I don't think it's possible to use your cell minutes, especially since most cell plans have unlimited nights and weekends. I say stick with an EVDO provider such as Sprint or Verizon and use their service sparingly.

Or steal free wifi, your choice ;).

The pay as you go sounds good. Whose service is good? I've got Verizon and no option there, at least I can't find one. Sprint also doesn't have an option according to their sales folks. Other choices?

BTW, what does EVDO stand for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't think pay as you go with data is a good idea, especially using a laptop. You will be pulling down a lot more info and the kbps cost can add up to way beyond a monthly charge really fast. Make sure you check the rates and possibly find a program to track your data exchange to see what your average use will end up costing you.

May I ask how long you're on the road? Are you staying overnight or is it same day trips? Most hotel offer wireless internet, usually for free.

Usually there's a Starbucks about everywhere you go and you could sign up for one of their monthly plans which is pretty cheap.

Public libraries almost all have free wireless internet any more.

There are tons of websites that will give you information on where hotspots are in major locations, paid or free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Usually there's a Starbucks about everywhere you go and you could sign up for one of their monthly plans which is pretty cheap.

The cool thing about them is they all use the same service (T-Mobile IIRC). You create an account and then just log in. You can put as much or as little money in there as you want and just use it as you go.

Reaction score
It also depends what you mean by "limited traveling". If by that you mean traveling into rural areas without a Starbucks (omg) or a WiFi hotspot, your only option would be to use your Verizon phone, if it has EVDO capability. EVDO is basically high speed internet via a cellular connection. You can read more about it below.

If you don't plan on subscribing monthly, be warned that the costs will be high. Sprint charges 3 cents/KB. Putting that into perspective, this page is about 25KB. That's already 75 cents to load this single page. Makes the monthly plan look pretty good, huh?

If you can, I recommend you stick with Wifi spots, even if they are pay per use.

EVDO on Wikipedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just happened to run across this article on CNET:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-13386_1-6744577-1.html?tag=inside

Mentions some good ideas. One I would have never thought of is WiFi at truck stops! I also remembered that a lot of shopping malls have WiFi for a few dollars a day. If you're lucky enough to be around an Apple store, theirs is free!

Reaction score
You can get unlimited 3G data plans with AT&T if you have a smart phone for $20 monthly. I would assume there are certain phone models that support 3G that can be tethered. I have heard that the Cingular 3125 can tether since it uses Windows Mobile 5, but I have not personally done it so I would research it.

I am guessing any pre-paid options would end up costing you more.

OP
L
Reaction score
I don't think pay as you go with data is a good idea, especially using a laptop. You will be pulling down a lot more info and the kbps cost can add up to way beyond a monthly charge really fast. Make sure you check the rates and possibly find a program to track your data exchange to see what your average use will end up costing you.

May I ask how long you're on the road? Are you staying overnight or is it same day trips? Most hotel offer wireless internet, usually for free.

Public libraries almost all have free wireless internet any more.

There are tons of websites that will give you information on where hotspots are in major locations, paid or free.

Thx for the reply. My trips are from 3 or 4 days to 2 weeks, about 12 to 18 times per year, but sporatically, sometimes 3 times a month and sometimes none for 3 months.

WiFi is not an option, because I won't be at a hotel or Starbucks. I'm in the boonies.

Thx for the options, but looks tough.

Maybe I could get an expensive unlimited service with Verizon and use the same service to hook to my airport at home, so I could feed my other computers and eliminate my ground based service.....????

Reaction score
If you're stuck in the boonies, chances are you'll be stuck with 3G service at best, if you can get cell reception. Surfing with 3G is painfully slow so you might want to consider that as well if you want to pay for the unlimited data plan Verizon offers.

I didn't know there was a place left in the world where there isn't a Starbucks within 10ft of anywhere. Near my house, there's a Starbucks across from a Starbucks, across from yet another Starbucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you're stuck in the boonies, chances are you'll be stuck with 3G service at best, if you can get cell reception. Surfing with 3G is painfully slow so you might want to consider that as well if you want to pay for the unlimited data plan Verizon offers.

I didn't know there was a place left in the world where there isn't a Starbucks within 10ft of anywhere. Near my house, there's a Starbucks across from a Starbucks, across from yet another Starbucks.

Yea, I live a mile from 2 Starbucks and a block from Panera which offers free wireless.

Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

If he's in the boonies for real, I doubt there's 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yeah, I think he may be getting cell terms mixed up. If it truly is "the boonies" you'll probably be lucky to even get EDGE! Inv the area of my home town in northern IN they don't have EDGE, they're on the old GPRS network, which you would be lucky to get 56k speeds on. Hunting down a WiFi spot may be your only hope or going back to your hotel for internet service.

OP
L
Reaction score

What's 3G? I'd be happy with phone speed, but prefer faster. And I'd be happy to get some kinda service wherever my Verizon works, an it rarely fails me, even in the boonies.

Any commercial establishment is not an option. No hotels, Starbucks or shopping malls anywhere close. I spend time in rural TN, KY, SC, southern WI (which could have some WiFI, but doesn't), and in the CO mountains.

Thx for all the help....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck, but you'll never get decent data service from a cellular provider in remote parts of those areas, unless you're willing to wait 5 minutes for each page to load. I think you're just completely out of luck for internet service in those circumstances.

OP
L
Reaction score
Good luck, but you'll never get decent data service from a cellular provider in remote parts of those areas, unless you're willing to wait 5 minutes for each page to load. I think you're just completely out of luck for internet service in those circumstances.

That's what I'm beginning to think. Perhaps I sould rethink and get an IPhone and use it for limited emails and basic internet that I need. Some of the stuff I need is text and comes across fast enough, even in slow mode.

Or maybe I'll wait for a good satelite solution.....

Thanks for all the help.

larry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.