Rip Van Winkle syndrome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
My iMac inte has this problem (Rip Van Winkle syndrome) but the difference is, it won't wake up:[

If I put it to sleep and try and start it say 8 hrs later is stays in the land of slumber and I have to shut off power and fire up again.

Some one said it could be something to do with the power?

Should I take it back for a service (do they ever do any good?) or just don't put rip van to sleep again?

Any ideas:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
We are not getting this problem. What level of batteries are in the BT mouse and keyboard? When the batteries were mid to low, only then was I having issues with the "non" response and it turned out the batteries in the Keyboard caused a similar type of problem. We force "sleep" the machine and never turn it off when going to bed.

As for the power idea - it may be true of a brown out during the night. A battery backup would be an easy solution but I have never (over 20 years) had Mac issues and power issues.

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Thanks for the reply, the BT mouse batters are OK, the keyboard is connected to the iMac (none BT) and it still won't wake even from the keyboard or the power button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hmmmt his is an interesting problem you have.

Have yyou ever tried this. You know when you leave you mac alone for a while. And the screem dims before it sends itself to sleep. And you can press a key for the screen to return to full brightness. Does that work for you?

And does the problem occur when the mac sleeps on it's own as well as when you send it to sleep?

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, I'll give it ago and let you know
:eek:

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8, I tried that, it won't wake up when 'I' put it to sleep (after a few hours) but is OK when it does it its self:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Hmmm, has this been an ongoing issue? Or has it just popped up recently... say, maybe after installing some new software or updates?

I recently had this problem occur on my machine right after downloading the latest OS X updates. Although it only happened once and I have a powerbook and I haven't heard about any issues like this :)

Does it happen in a different user account?

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*I recently had this problem occur on my machine right after downloading the latest OS X updates.*
Never really noticed it before, maybe something in the updates giving it the Yawn:eek:
May have to wait till they bring out another Security update with a wake up pill for the van winkle Syndrome :Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Another question.

When you put your mac to sleep. Do you go the apple menu and hit sleep. Or do you just old the power button in for a few seconds to initiate sleep. I know you can set that up on some macs.

Would that affect anything? I dunno. But it's worth thinking about. And I think I would let apple know about this issue.

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do go to apple menu and hit sleep:Sleeping:

Reaction score
Try turning the screen saver off in your control options. I'm having a weird problem where my machine goes to sleep but the light doesn't pulsate. Seems to happen mostly when I have my browser open. Never used to happen before. Anyhow as far as your issue goes I had it happen once. Since then I turned the screen saver option off and it hasn't reoccured(knock on wood).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
So If you just try hitting the power button for a second it doesn't do anything? Creepy!

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK people, I have done some serious checking :D

If the iMac goes to sleep on it's own it will wake up even after 16hrs, but if 'I' put it to sleep (via Apple) it won't wake up.

Now I know you have all been waiting with bated breath for this revelation of the sleep phenomena but there it is ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Have you called Apple about this? I have a feeling it's a hardware issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.