leopard demand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
hey, i've only had my mac for about 7 months, so, i've never really seen a new OS released, and was wondering about it. how high is the demand, i want to get leopard asap and was wondering if i were to just go to the apple store on the release date, if i had a chance of getting a copy. just from your guys experiences with other releases.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hey, i've only had my mac for about 7 months, so, i've never really seen a new OS released, and was wondering about it. how high is the demand, i want to get leopard asap and was wondering if i were to just go to the apple store on the release date, if i had a chance of getting a copy. just from your guys experiences with other releases.

I'm sure it won't be a problem, publishing discs is not all that complicated. If you're really worried about it, you can always pre-order from Amazon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was at the OSX Tiger release party at my then local CompUSA. We had a real on staff Mac person there who I knew well. I would say between 50-75 people attended. They must have had 200-300 copies of Tiger there. When I left half were gone.

Plenty of copies for the almost Anti Mac city I live in!

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Yes, people will not be camping out like the iphone or the Wii. Your store should have plenty to go around. I haven't seen all that much over Tiger that is going to even make me want to buy it just yet. Maybe after I visit the store and see what all other hidden goodies it has maybe. But looking at the website, nothing just jumps out at me and screams buy-me. Quicklook looks interesting. The new desktop bar and dock. Whoopee. Time machine might be useful to some, but OSX is pretty hard to mess up and in all the years I have used Macs I don't know that I have ever done anything so bad that I needed a "system restore" like Windows which I take it is what Time machine is. Everything else they list we pretty much already have in Tiger or can get by just doing software updates. So I doubt there will be lines anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I went and got Panther the night is was released (I think they called it the night of the panther) and there were people who lined up before the store opened up (they close it to setup) but had no problem getting it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Compared to something like, say the iPhone or Wii, which have lots of expensive components from all over the world, an OS upgrade (which is just a DVD) is easy to mass-produce. There should be no shortages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Anyone have any memories of the original OS X release? What was that like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Anyone have any memories of the original OS X release? What was that like?

Oh yeah!

The Public Beta (10.0) was interesting to say the least. It gave you the basic idea of what OSX was like while sucking badly, all at the same time. As I recall I used to GSOD (KP) on a regular basis due to an incompatibility with most SCSI cards in both 10.0 and 10.1, including many that Apple shipped with their machines. That was when I finally gave up on SCSI for good. My Scanner didn't work, my external drives didn't work and on and on. OS9 and OSX were what pushed me to upgrade from my Performa 6400/200 to my G4/400 "Sawtooth" machine.

There was no great stampeded to get it as I recall, and I think it was free, at least initially. I know I got it for free, but we won't go there. It got a mixed bag of reviews, but most of them were "Don't change over yet, this thing sucks". All of the updates were free and the 10.1 update was free as well. They started charging with 10.2, which was when I moved to OSX full time.

I do recall standing in line at an Apple store for 10.2 and 10.3. I think I even got the free gift (OSX Panther Dog Tags) for 10.3. I just bought 10.4 at CompUSA IIRC.

As I recall there was a bigger clamor for OS8 and OS9 than OSX, at least until 10.3 came along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Oh yeah!

The Public Beta (10.0) was interesting to say the least.
10.0 was not the Public Beta...well, it was kind of a public beta, but there was also an official $29 Public Beta.

It was exciting, but only because it was new and different. There was no software available, it required a G3 with more RAM than most people had back then, and ran like molasses in a Deepfreeze. It was pretty, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
10.0 was not the Public Beta...well, it was kind of a public beta, but there was also an official $29 Public Beta.

True, I was speaking of the Public Beta, that's the one I got for free initially. Digging through my disc drawer I found all the discs from the Public Beta through 10.4 in there, I had forget I still had them (Beta - 10.3) shoved in the back.

I don't recall much of a difference between the Beta and 10.0, but I didn't really start to play with it until 10.1 came out.

OP
ki99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
that's good. it sucks that there is only 4 apple stores in the country though. (canada)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.