Had to get my Mighty Mouse exchanged, feel like I got Shortchanged on the deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I had a previous post about exchanging my wireless mighty mouse and I was extremely pleased with the way it was handled and the prompt exchange. The problem is the warranty on the replacement.

I asked the guy when I picked up the replacement if another year of warranty starts or just until the end of the original warranty time. I would have been happy with the latter, but he said it's 90 days! I thought maybe he was mistaken and read the blanket statement on the back of the paperwork for all repairs. It says replaced parts have a warranty for 90 days only!

So basically my warranty period has been shorted due to a product defect which could also exist in this new mouse! I've had the mouse for 8 months, but I would be completely irate if this had happened only a month after purchase or to something more important like the super drive or hard drive in my MBP with the 3 year Applecare warranty! I would even feel better if it was a new mouse, but it's obviously used and the scrolling is much rougher than my other mouse, which has me really worried.

It just doesn't seem right that the original warranty get shorted due to a product defect. That doesn't happen with other products like vehicle warranties: at least not mine. Anyone else think this is just wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The problem is the warranty on the replacement.

I asked the guy when I picked up the replacement if another year of warranty starts or just until the end of the original warranty time. I would have been happy with the latter, but he said it's 90 days! I thought maybe he was mistaken and read the blanket statement on the back of the paperwork for all repairs. It says replaced parts have a warranty for 90 days only!
It just doesn't seem right that the original warranty get shorted due to a product defect. That doesn't happen with other products like vehicle warranties: at least not mine. Anyone else think this is just wrong?
Not trying to sound like a smartaleck, but that is the very definition of a "limited" warranty for a purchase, the kind of warranty on Apple products. A "limited" warranty has a strict time period, based upon the time of your original purchase. A "limited" warranty is not renewed if the original product is replaced.
Apple said:
Apple, as defined below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (”Warranty Period”).

A "lifetime" warranty on a purchase would cover you no matter how long you owned a product and no matter how many times it was repaired or replaced.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, the thing that worried me is that, yes, it is covered one year, but once it has to be replaced, the one year is null and 90 days replaces it. Seems kinda crappy. With my car, the bumper to bumper warranty was 4 year/50,000 miles for everything despite anything replaced. The fan broke and was replaced, but the replacement was still covered under the original warranty limits.

Anyway, this annoyed me enough that I decided to take some time to sit on the phone and ask their support people. The guy I spoke with claims that since I have Applecare my MBP and perihperals (keyboard and mouse) are all covered for 3 years regardless of replacement, like I originally thought plus the bonus of the peripherals cover by Applecare too. I hope that's true. I should have gotten his ID info in case I have a problem down the road. I may call back for confirmation and get someone's ID for back-up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.