• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Using an HDTV as monitor through hdmi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
I know it's possible, but i was wondering how the tv would behave- like a dvi monitor (the computer can detect it, set the applicable res etc). Im hoping to get a full HD 1080 tv and, using a DVI to HDMI cable, use it as both a tv for a ps3 and as a secondary display for a mac pro. Seeing as HDMI is DVI+sound, i would imagine it would behave almost identically to DVI, but i'm not too sure. Are there any image quality issues etc?

I scoured the HDTV post, but coudnt find anything answering this question...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It will work, however, there are a couple of issues.

First - the EDID - the info passed to the connected devices - this has not been standardized with the HDMI specification for using this connection with a computer - so whether OS X recognizes it and auto sets the correct resolution probably will not occur - this is not so much of a problem as you will be able to set the resolution in system Preferences for the desired output.

Second - The way OS X handles fonts leaves something to be desired when using an HDTV as a monitor. Movies and games look OK, but in comparison to XP, all text looks really bad in comparison. It's readable, but just not clear. I have and/or currently use 26", 32", 55" 720p HDTV's as my primary monitor on my XP machine. Have been for 2 years. Got my MBP 6 months ago and have read and researched much regarding this issue and have found the same problem reported, but no resolution anywhere.

OP
TheThirdMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers, i will primarily use it as a the preview monitor for FCS edits, so font sizing isnt really an issue.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That should function adequately

OP
TheThirdMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOuld image quality be as good as say a bluray movie from a bluray player through hdmi?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually do not notice that much difference between using the VGA and HDMI connections.

If you are talking about watching a standard DVD from the internal drive - no, the DVD is still going to be 720 x 480 (720 x 576 PAL) and that is the best you will get. When playing them on your computer they get upscaled to match the resolution of your screen - this is not the same as if the recording were in 720 or 1080 to begin with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.