• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Name for current design after replacement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The iMac G3, G4 and G5 all had clear names based on their processors. But when iMac is redesigned, what are we going to call the current design?

The new design will have C2Ds as well, so we can't call them iMac CD or iMac C2D.

It's hard... You can't name it after any of the current features, because all of the ones I can think of were also in the G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
it will probably get generation names like the iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just like car manufacturers change the look of their cars slightly each model year, Apple changes the design of its computers from time to time. A Nissan Sentra from 1998 looks very different from a 2007 one, just like an iMac from 1998 looks differently from a 2007 one.

The design is simply called iMac.

The processor didn't really have anything to do with the "name" of that design. That was more of a consumer-given moniker that was sort of indoctrinated into the vernacular.

If you are interested in seeing how Apple officially differentiates the models, you can check out the Specifications Page on the support site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Maybe they'll rename it altogether. Good for marketing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Maybe they'll rename it altogether. Good for marketing.

Doubtful. It would actually be more damaging from a marketing perspective to abandon a very successful product name that you've spent years building a positive reputation and lots of money on.

Ford learned this the hard way by getting rid of the "Taurus" name and now they're bringing it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Plus most people don't know Macs by their real names (iMac G4, iMac G5), so they describe them.

When I used to work at a store, we'd hear it all the time - "the lamp" (G4), "the egg" (G3), "the toilet seat" (original iBook).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Doubtful. It would actually be more damaging from a marketing perspective to abandon a very successful product name that you've spent years building a positive reputation and lots of money on.

Ford learned this the hard way by getting rid of the "Taurus" name and now they're bringing it back.

True. I don't know why Fordx decided to axe the Taurus, which was basically their cornerstone vehicle and kept them above water throughout the past 20 years of auto "asian invasion".

Since the LCD was included as a major redesign and no name changed happened, I doubt it will now. Maybe they can add something to the iMac name to make it distinctive, or just call it the "gen 3" iMac informally.

Reaction score
When I tell people I use an iMac, I always get asked "oh the one with the semi-sphere under it?". funnily enough, the iMac G4 seems to be a very popular model among non-Mac users. I then go "no, the flat one that has everything in a slab". And they say "oh, we have those in art class".

Typical mac conversation.

Reaction score
How about a piMac? A well rounded machine. :) Or wiMac and take the philosophical approach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
The "i" in iMac will now stand for "intel".

Or it could be called the evoMac, maybe throw in a Mark designation so you could talk up the power of your evoMac Mk III.

I'm rambling, forgive me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Mk adds a bit of class to the name......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
When I tell people I use an iMac, I always get asked "oh the one with the semi-sphere under it?". funnily enough, the iMac G4 seems to be a very popular model among non-Mac users. I then go "no, the flat one that has everything in a slab". And they say "oh, we have those in art class".

Typical mac conversation.

To be honest I much preferred the G4 design to the current iMac design. If I could get an Intel iMac in that form factor, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, despite Apple confusing naming scheme, there have clearly been 3 Generations of iMac design, the current crop being part of the 3rd (it included the G5 machines). I've been referring to them this way for some time.

OP
smurfy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Yeah, I find that G4s are the most popular and famous design amongst Windows users. I want them to bring that design back, it was just so convenient.

Off topic: Today I walked into Tech class and sat with my OS rival, he swears by Windows. I walked in, prepared to start another Windows vs Mac argument, when suddenly, he turned around and said 'I'm getting a Laptop!'

I said 'But it's a Wintel though isn't it?'
'No, MacBook'

Woo!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Won't the new iMacs have the Santa Rosa chips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Probably. Nothing is certain. Except that it isn't certain. Eh, whatever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.