What can you NOT do on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
Depends if you include running windows on the Mac... because if you do that, everything is possible.

Assuming you actually mean OS X, my two big things are

Windows Media 10 or 11. Some sites need it to run their video, UK's Channel 4 news is one I have to switch to Parallels for.

MS Money. There is no Mac version and no equivalent app. Don't say Mac Quicken...:p

Hijack Alert:

I've always used Quicken on windows, and when I switched, I bought the mac version and have been happy with it.

I've never used MS Money so I am genuinely interested, why is it superior to quicken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well there are 3 things you just can't do no OS X.

1. See those pesky websites that want you to use Internet Explorer.

2. Aquire a blue screen of death.

3. Do anything with encrypted WMA files.

Reaction score
Get really upset and so depressed that I have to listen to Coldplay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
There are some things that don't have OS X alternatives that I've come across, but they where game editors/managers/save file converters etc. and not essential.

Also, there are things that DO have OS X alternative but they include propriety file types. The big one is receiving files in PowerISOs .daa format, that really ticks me off because it's completely unnecessary. Alcohol120% confused me at first, but they're really just .iso files (even more pointless!) which OS X handles beautifully.

DRMed Windows Media files are the only other thing I've come across that are useless with OS X.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
mass rename files directly within finder. though renamer4mac is a superb replacement (and upgrade) for explorer's extremely basic renumbering scheme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
I cant play any of the hottest new games, or use AutoCAD or 3D studio Max

Boot camp solves the problem, though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hijack Alert:

I've always used Quicken on windows, and when I switched, I bought the mac version and have been happy with it.

I've never used MS Money so I am genuinely interested, why is it superior to quicken?

Mac Quicken is a cut down version of the Windows Quicken... I'm surprised you didn't notice. I could never use Mac Quicken because it doesn't support multi currency accounting (some MS Money as had since about 1998). I thkn Money does a much better job of tracking 401(k) values and I really like the advisors - not to mention the investment reports and the tracking of net worth across multi-currency acounts.

I really wish it was not the case, but MS Money is so far ahead of Mac Quicken, it's actually embarrassing.

I didn't actually make any posts in this link... but they echo my feelings nicely...

http://www.quickencommunity.com/webx?14@@.efd5d79/1

Reaction score
Mac Quicken is a cut down version of the Windows Quicken... I'm surprised you didn't notice. I could never use Mac Quicken because it doesn't support multi currency accounting (some MS Money as had since about 1998). I thkn Money does a much better job of tracking 401(k) values and I really like the advisors.

I really wish it was not the case, but MS Money is so far ahead of Mac Quicken, it's actually embarrassing.

I didn't actually make the post in this link... but it echos my feelings...

http://www.quickencommunity.com/web...ware Forum for Macintosh/Day to day Quicken/7

What a shame, good thing I don't have any money to manage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
With on-line banking I don't manage money anymore. I love it and don't even need MS Money! I'm windows free! :D

But what I can't do:

Select text, right click and PRINT selected text. Not that easy on my iMac. Hope that changes with Leopard. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
VMware 6... well theres Virtual PC i believe but all my systems are in vmware format.

I havent found a good replacement for winamp yet and the one and only mIRC doesnt have a mac version, though Crossover Mac handles it very well.

And lol, visual studio. But it wouldnt make much sense anyway.

Of course games, but boot camp fixes that. Its strange though, because the mac is advertised as a fun and creative pc for the whole family, it rly should have games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Mapping and GPS support are the only features that are missing in OSX for me. Maybe in the US they have mapping covered, but down here in NZ there isn't a solution. I have XP installed via Bootcamp, and run my mapping software while under windows, but it doesn't recognize my GPS connected via USB, which is pretty much the whole point.

Other than that, I seem to have way too much spare time now because I don't have to spend hours searching for and removing spyware/adware/trojans, much appreciated thanks mac.

Reaction score
I guess in some obscure cases and applications of a Mac there are limitations. I'm no expert on GPS, but maybe there is some good GPS software for the mac out there that will detect your USB GPS device? Have you tried Gpsy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
I can't bang my head on the keyboard with frustration that everything is going to slow and not working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have to agree that MS Money is probably the best personal finance software available. I really wish it was available for Mac. Quicken just doesn't compare and iBank and other Mac alternatives don't do any kind of automatic account sync up with your bank/investment/credit accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Can't you use BootCamp or Parallels to run MS Money?

Yes I could and I do have Parallels. However, I'd rather have a Mac-native personal finance program that equalled MS Money, so far they all fall short.

I would also not count Parallels or Bootcamp as an option for this thread, since in either case you're really not "using" a Mac at that point. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
I would also not count Parallels or Bootcamp as an option for this thread, since in either case you're really not "using" a Mac at that point. :)
Yeah, I know... I was just trying to help since it sounded like there was no other way around that one. :) I don't use MS Money myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
Well im a switcher for a week now and i can say that there is nothing that i cant do on my Mac.The only thing that i cant do is that i cant play games...but this is the only thing i dont care about.
If i want to tho, i can install bootcamp and i got 2 computers in the price of one!
Im very excited with this machine and there is no reason to get a windows pc again.My next computer will be for sure mac(w8ing for the new iMacs).
It Just Works and works perfectly.Thx Apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I guess in some obscure cases and applications of a Mac there are limitations. I'm no expert on GPS, but maybe there is some good GPS software for the mac out there that will detect your USB GPS device? Have you tried Gpsy?

Thanks for the link Yogi, Gspy looks good, but maps and mapping software are what I'm lacking, hopefully one day soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.