Good OSX programming guide for beginner?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what would be the best programming book/guide to buy for a total beginner in programming? I've read the online tutorials and all that good stuff but I need something more extensive and tangible that can walk me through from the beginning. I've got all the Developer Tools but I just don't know how to use them. So...if anyone could give me some suggestions on how to get started it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

OP
Snellyville
Reaction score

Thanks for the help. I signed up for ADC last night and looked around for a while and found all kinds of PDF guides and what not but it was all just a little overwhelming b/c there is SO many guides spread out over so many different pages. I'm really hoping to find something more along the lines of an actual guide/book that lays it out step-by-step from the beginning and hopefully includes screenshots that show what the end result should be. I learned how to use Dreamweaver with a couple books like this and it was great...quick and easy. Again, thanks for your help but would you happen to have any more suggestions along the lines of an actual book/guide? Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

Reaction score
Hello, I have been reading two books. One is called Sam's Teach Yourself Applescript in 24 Hours. Its 24 1 hour sessions and has good examples of code. It also goes into Applescript studio although I haven't got that far yet. The other is called The Xcode 2 Book. It starts you off writing little applets immediately. I bought them both off Ebay for less than 5 bucks.

Reaction score
Cool. I never knew there was a free ADC. I had only ever seen the other ones and was always like "Hmm. Someday I'll have enough money to sign up" lol.

Reaction score
Snellyville,

Thanks for asking this question, and thanks to the other's for the replies.
I think I'll try the XCode 2 book for now.

There really does need to be a better resource for newbies getting started programming on the Mac. There are many choices one could choose, depending on skills and inclination, and very little i the way of direction and guidance, that doesn't involve sorting through hundreds of pages of info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If you search the forums you'll find some suggestions. The most recommended book is "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X", second edition, by Aaron Hillegass.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.