Burning the disc failed because communnication to the disc drive failed

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Ok, well I have a bunch of DVDs stored on a PC with a DVD burner, but the burner would NOT burn them. I reinstalled windows and everything, but still nothing.

So,

I took it out of the PC and plugged it into my external firewire drive and hooked it up on my iMac hoping it would work,
And when i go to burn some .vob files, i get "Burning the disc failed because communnication to the disc drive failed" and it ejects.
I am using Maxell 16x DVD-Rs.
CDs will burn fine, but no luck with the DVDs,
Im assuming this is a drive problem, but i really hope it is not because i really don't feel like buying another DVD drive, unless i could get it for unreasonably cheap, which would be unreasonable. ;D

Thanks,

Tanner.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello everyone,

Ok, well I have a bunch of DVDs stored on a PC with a DVD burner, but the burner would NOT burn them. I reinstalled windows and everything, but still nothing.

So,

I took it out of the PC and plugged it into my external firewire drive and hooked it up on my iMac hoping it would work,
And when i go to burn some .vob files, i get "Burning the disc failed because communnication to the disc drive failed" and it ejects.
I am using Maxell 16x DVD-Rs.
CDs will burn fine, but no luck with the DVDs,
Im assuming this is a drive problem, but i really hope it is not because i really don't feel like buying another DVD drive, unless i could get it for unreasonably cheap, which would be unreasonable. ;D

Thanks,

Tanner.

I don't believe the problem is with your burner as much as it is with the way the data is stored on the hard disk. My advice would be to run a CHKDSK on the volume that you have the data stored on. In Windows, this would be done by opening the command prompt (Start => Run, type: CMD => hit Enter). Then, type the command using the following syntax:

Code:
CHKDSK C: /R

Substitute C: for the drive letter that the data is stored on. If your data is stored on the C: drive, the command will prompt you to run CHKDSK at next startup. Reboot your machine and allow it to run.

That would be my first thought. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.