get Internet through ethernet, but not wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
hi, I've spent hours trying to set up my wireless from my macbook. I've spent at least 2 hours on the phone to Apple - they say there's a setting not right on my modem (Netgear), but i'm not convinced. My problem is this - using my AX, I get a full strength signal on my macbook, can see other networks in my neighbourhood, and can use Airtunes no problem. But, I cannot connect to the internet, despite a solid green light on the AX. I only get internet when i plug directly into my modem with ethernet. When I use firefox, it doesn't immediately flick to a "can't find server" message, but searches and searches and searches, which says to me that its some type of IP addressing issue? Apple says that its a bridging issue - I'm not too sure what this means, but I've been through the netgear manual, and I think the settings for the modem are correct for ADSL (ie PPPoA, right?) The non-default modification I've made to the AX is that I need to manually set the channel to 10 due to a large number of local networks - this shoudn'tbe a problem tho, right?

Help Please!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Before I say anything else, what is your AX? You have a Netgear Modem or Router? What is hooked into what.
What DSL do you have? Where is your basic location? For all the DSL I have worked with here you use PPPoE.

Edit: Opps, it's late. I figured out what you are saying. AX=Airport Extreme. So you have a Netgear DSL modem? The Bridged Mode makes sense. On the SpeedStream 4100, 5100 that SBC (Now AT&T) hands out, they have a built in router. If you want to use the modem with a better external WiFi router, you have to set the Modem into Bridged Mode. What model is that Netgear modem and your DSL provider. I should be able to help you if you provide that info.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Hi dtravis, thanks for replying. AX = Airport express (I thought I was being cool, but was actually just being confusing!). The netgear modem is ADSL2+modem dm111p. is ADSL the same as DLS? This was what made me think that PPPoE wasn't the way to go. I'm in the UK, my provider is Vodafone.
Cheers!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Got the manual on the Netgear and reading it now.

Edit: Netgear claims you hook that Modem into the LAN port of an external router and not the WAN (Internet). It's right on their page for the dm111p. So set up the Netgear so it works on the internet plugged directly into your Macbook, then plug in that cable to a LAN port on the Airport Express. See if you then get internet over the wireless. That is what Netgear is saying.

Edit: The Express is the iTunes sharing Airport. Forgot that. All it has is a LAN port so it should just work. I found two reviews that claims that the dm111p works great with an Airport Express, but found others having the same issue you are having. I believe it's a setting in the Airport Express causing your problem.

Have you used the Airport Express Setup Assistant?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
That's pretty much exactly what I do - saw that manual - yes its should be as straight forward as you say. the Apple help desk has taken me through a couple of different assistants, and we've started from total scratch but resetting the airport to its factory settings. I'm using the moden via my cable at the moment, but when i plug into the airport and open a browser, it just searches and searches but never finds anything. The airport diagnostics show greelights for everything exept Internet and the last one - can't remember what it is. so I'm getting some kind of signal, but the machine just keeps searching for something - some type of ip address ? is the ariport IP getting confused with the modem IP? Also, when i got to Prefences>Network>Port config I always move the airport to the top of the list. not sure if this helps or hurst?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Thanks, but nope. no go. I get all the green lights on the modem and airport, can see and connect to other networks through wireless, can connect to mine, but cannot get internet. Diagnostics still show red lights for internet and server. the browser window just sits there looking for Google (int this case) but cannot find it after looking a long time.

any more suggestions? I'll try anything at this stage!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Still need help - full wireless signal, but not internet

Hi I posted a message asking for help with my wireless connection - i've had some good advice, but the problem is still not solved. please click here for the thread. Basically, while my mac shows I'm getting a full strngth signal and all lights are green on my modem and airport express, my browser does not get the connection despite minutes of searching.

Any help please. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.