Buying a Macbook in Hong Kong

Reaction score
Hey Mac-users,

I have a question about buying a Macbook and it is my first time on this forum.

I am going to study in 2 months and I want to buy a Macbook for my studies. I am from Holland and I am going to study there as well, but at the moment I am in Hong Kong. I heard it is a fantastic place to buy a Macbook as it is very cheap over here.

My first question is: Which Macbook/Macbook Pro do you guys advice me to buy. I am going to use it for study purposes generally. I don't really play a lot of video games, but I like my music and a fast internet speed, although that depends on the connection as well. Any advice is welcome.

Do you guys have any experience with buying Mac in HK? To make sure I am not buying a refurbished or secondhand Mac I check the serialnumber with the macsupport site. http://www.apple.com/support/.

The prices are extremely low here. It is about 8200 HK$, that is 1048 US$ for a Macbook. That is very cheap comparing to Europe (I am not going to the US unfortunately). Is this normal for HK? The prizes are from Apple stores in Windsor House, HK.

Maybe you can see I am a newbie. I hope that doesn't matter. Any advice and suggestions on where, what and how to buy are more than welcome.

Thank you in advance.

regards,

Nathan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
As far as which one you should get, I would go with the MacBook. It sounds like you'll most likely use it for internet, word processing, and listening to music so the MacBook will do all of that for you plus more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Go for a MacBook Black. Apple has international warranty. you may need a power plug adaptor so you can use it the country where you are going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hi, I use my laptop (MacBook) for all the same reasons you do. I find the MB a great choice. You probably won't find the need for the MBP, though I must admit, the MBP is a sexier machine (in my opinion).

A MB with 1GB will do you fine, but I upgraded to 2GB and it works perfectly. I use Parallels on my machine, along with other programs running at the same time, so I know I need 2GB for it to perform well.

Go for the MB (ideally - it fits your situation), otherwise if you have cash to spend and want something that looks nicer, go MBP.

MB - MacBook
MBP - MacBook Pro

tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz blac-book
How much cheaper are they in HK? I say go with the blacbook. It's dead sexy. Go with the 1gb ram and upgrade on your own accord. Aftermarket ram is cheaper anyway.

What programs, type of work, do you plan on doing while studying abroad? That might help you get an answer for the macbook vs macbook PRO.

Tam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.