What's you EDGE speed thread (thanks fleurya)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
As requested, here's a new thread to compare EDGE speeds.

Ok, so maybe I was exaggerating when I compared EDGE here in Arkansas to a 33.6k modem. I just ran this test from the phone and got a whopping 40.6 Kb/s so I take back everything I said about it being as slow as a 33.6k modem. It is definitely faster than a 33.6k modem, a whole 7k faster! Amazing! I still stand by my old 56K being faster though! What speed is everyone else getting?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_me...tml?tag=feat.2

edited to add Wifi number:

1037.9 kbps via Wifi Apple Airport Extreme connected to Suddenlink/Cox cable modem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPhone
846.5 kbps over wifi
129.5 kbps over EDGE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm averaging 400+ kbit/s on my Palm on Verizon's Network. I'm interested to see how AT&T compares.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
EDGE: 138 kbit/s
WiFi: Hard to test, can't find a non-Flash/non-Java based test and the mobile test at dslreports.com complains about my connection being too fast
3G: Last I checked my AT&T 3G speeds, I was averaging somewhere between 800-900 kbit/s

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ATT in Arkansas is not setting this whole EDGE experience up to help their sales. I was about so frustrated this morning at the post office trying to get a stiinking address off ebay.com for my old cell phone I sold that I about wanted to scream. Finally gave up and drove all the way back home to get it. It would literally load one line of text at a time and wait about 20 seconds for each and every line of text. This lady in line with me said, "Oh is that the new iPhone? How do you like it?" I showed her the blazing internet on it and after she watched it loading line by line after about 3 minutes she said "Hmm. Well isn't that something." in one of those tones that lets you know that she won't be signing up anytime soon. I'd guess it was averaging somewhere less than 1Kbps - probably in the bps range instead.

Reaction score
EDGE:172 kbs

I was worried about their decision on edge over 3G, but its really not that bad. Everyone is complaining about it, but it is suprisingly snappy. As long as you dont go to any media heavy sites you should be fine, depending on the service in your area.

Now i just hope apple dowsnt alienate all of us early adopters and releases an 3G model

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow rlctrh, that's pretty bad. My mother used to have mother used to have Verizon and her the sparsely-populated part of Indiana she lives in, the connection was terrible and calls would constantly drop. I had heard of people who made agreements to rent land they own to put of cell towers and told her she should try to contact Verizon to put one up on land she had. Instead she gave up and got Cingular (AT&T) which has great reception there.

Services can be very spotty in some areas depending on where towers are. Maybe you can do some investigating to find out how close you are to the nearest AT&T tower.

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I don't really understand the problem. I always have full bars here and never drop a call at all. It's just the crappy EDGE response at times. Sometimes it is fast (generally late at night), other times (most of the time during the day and late evening) it creeps like molasses. I wonder if maybe they do not have switch capacity here in this area for the EDGE/Internet side of it and since so many people here bought the phone and so many have the treos and such this area is just overloaded on the internet side. They did finally put up the sold out sign at the main ATT store and nearly everyone around has the treo's too. Back in the day I remember an early local ISP I had with dialup and they offered some cheap signon deal and were swamped with new customers and overnight all us old customers experienced this same type internet response (not to mention busy signals) until they added more powerful hardware and probably more trunk lines behind the scene. Thats almost what this seems like - too many people sharing the internet in this area at one time. On the call side, I never have a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Services can be very spotty in some areas depending on where towers are. Maybe you can do some investigating to find out how close you are to the nearest AT&T tower.

Agreed. I can literally turn around from my computer desk, look out my front Window and see a Cell Tower that is maybe 1/4 mile from me. It obviously has no AT&T Antenna on it as my AT&T work phone has 1 bar yet my Verizon phone has 5. I drop calls on my AT&T phone all the time in my home, but rarely if ever on the Verizon phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I got 188 on the EDGE test

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It must be dependent on various network factors. Right now I am at 160.7 and everything is nice and speedy unlike this morning when it was almost nonexistent.

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
using this new site above I just got a 205

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
New results:

EDGE - 198.8 kbps
WiFi - 1229.1 kbps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Amazing that just 10 years ago 56k modems on landlines were the standard and now we're getting triple that on our cell phones. Sheesh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
I got an edge speed of 170. Its not wifi, but I'll take it. Its certainly fast enough for me to enjoy reading this forum

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.