ibook freezes at startup

D

davidhbraxton

I have a ibook 800MHz G4 that is freezing at the Login Windows startup screen. It does the same even when starting from the CD. I either can't remember the key strokes for doing a clean install if it is still possible with the new ibooks. How do I get out of this dilemma.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
To do a clean install you put in the restore disc (or panther disc) and when you boot up the computer hold down C this will bring you to the installer.

Try this first

When you turn on the computer hold down Apple+S to boot into single user mode
when its done loading type in
/sbin/fsck -f
hit enter
if it says the file system was changed type it again
When it says the drive is OK you can type
Exit and hit enter

OP
D

davidhbraxton

Thanks for the effort, but I've already tried to boot from the restore and the install CDs several times, and it never gets to the install screen because it never gets past the screen that says "Login Window starting." It gets locked into that mode and does not go any farther. I've waited as long as 30 minutes for it to proceed, but it won't. The only way to get out of the mode is to hold down the power key until the computer shuts down. I've tried starting in the safe mode, but that doesn't work either. It doesn't respond to any key combinations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You shouldn't get to login window starting if you boot from the cd

You hold down the C button for a while before it boots to the CD

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you made any changes to your system before it problem occurred? Like installing additional memory.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can see where your system hangs on boot up, by pressing a command (apple) v on boot up. The system will the display each command as it is executed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.