I'm going to buy a MacBook on Monday. Questions/concerns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive
Hey folks! First post here. On Monday I'm going down to the Apple Store to buy the midline white MacBook. I can't wait! I just have a few questions and concerns which I know will be quelled by this community. I'll use a numbering system so it will be easy to follow which answers correspond to which questions.

1. When I was demoing one of the MacBooks they had out at the Apple Store, I noticed it loaded Word and Excel pretty darn slowly. Is this how it's going to be when I purchase mine? Do Microsoft apps just load slower than native apps like iPhoto? I didn't even test any native apps... I just don't want a slow laptop.

2. If I go to Starbucks, McDonalds, or any other Wi-Fi equipped business - will the MacBook be able to connect up just fine? Also I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router at home. Will it work on this?

3. How do I find out if a program works with Mac? I have several programs I use on my PC that I'm hoping to be able to use on my Mac. These programs include PowerISO, Trillian, VLC Media Player, Skype, and Google Talk. Thanks!

4. Will all the movies I have on my PC work with Mac? Do I need special programs to run DivX, XviD, etc?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thems the basics! Thanks for reading and answering - hopefully when I sit down with my brand new MacBook I won't feel like a complete noob!

Symon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
Welcome, Symon. I'm new here too but I can answer a couple of your questions...

1. I am currently using the 30 day trial of Word 2004 that came on my MacBook and it does load a bit slower than the native mac apps. I don't know why this is but I imagine it's just because of Microsoft's narcicism :)

2. I see people at Starbucks all the time with their MacBooks but I don't know if they are using the net... I know Linksys modems do work so you're in luck there.

3. I know that VLC and Skype work for sure, and I'm pretty sure Google Talk works. As for the others, there should be an option to download the app for Mac OS X on the site if they do work.

4. DivX Player works on the mac so I think you'll be OK.

Welcome again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
1. I am currently using the 30 day trial of Word 2004 that came on my MacBook and it does load a bit slower than the native mac apps. I don't know why this is but I imagine it's just because of Microsoft's narcicism :)

No, this is because Office for Mac:2004 is not a universal binary yet. It runs under Rosetta, so it will run a bit slower. I have 1GB of ram and it's not that slow. When I had 512MB of ram it did lag a lot. So ram does help. Office for Mac:2008 is going to be universal so it will run smoothly on your intel mac.

Reaction score
No, this is because Office for Mac:2004 is not a universal binary yet. It runs under Rosetta, so it will run a bit slower. I have 1GB of ram and it's not that slow. When I had 512MB of ram it did lag a lot. So ram does help. Office for Mac:2008 is going to be universal so it will run smoothly on your intel mac.

Good to hear about Office 08.
Is there a release date yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I'm not sure about a release date. I think it's still in beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good news about 08. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Office 08 is supposedly coming out before the end of 2007. Probably October/November-ish. These are just things that I've heard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yes, you can connect really easily to places with wifi, it normally just pops up a little box that asks you if you want to connect:p it's really that easy. as for power iso, if you spring out for toast, it is much better, and i'm almost positive it can burn iso's, it can burn everything else!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0Ghz... new Intel
Everything listed will work on your mac. I know the feeling that you have about it. Trust me, it is worth it in the end. I have a $1500 PC sitting right next to me right now, and it has been used only once since I have got my macbook. I <3LOVE<3 this thing.

I hope that your experience is just as good as mine. I would also advise you to download firefox for mac, it works a lot better than safari imo.

-Xander

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
actually if you like firefox, you should go with camino, it is just like firefox, but has more of a mac-look to it, and is written in cocoa, so it runs a lot faster then firefox, but it uses the same rendering engine, so pages appear the same, and it is just as compatible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
1. When I was demoing one of the MacBooks they had out at the Apple Store, I noticed it loaded Word and Excel pretty darn slowly. Is this how it's going to be when I purchase mine? Do Microsoft apps just load slower than native apps like iPhoto? I didn't even test any native apps... I just don't want a slow laptop.

That is because Office 2003 is not a Universal Application and is running under Rosetta under Emulation. The new Office when it's released will run at full speed.

2. If I go to Starbucks, McDonalds, or any other Wi-Fi equipped business - will the MacBook be able to connect up just fine? Also I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router at home. Will it work on this?

Yes, I take my iBook all the time to those kinds of places and it connects easily. I own 2 WRT54G's here and the Mac connects to both without a problem.

3. How do I find out if a program works with Mac? I have several programs I use on my PC that I'm hoping to be able to use on my Mac. These programs include PowerISO, Trillian, VLC Media Player, Skype, and Google Talk. Thanks!

For Power ISO you can get either Toast (Pay) or Burn (Free) I know PowerISO is really an ISO manager and the applications I mentioned are burning programs, but handle ISO Images. For Trillian you use Adium. Works with all chat services just like Trillian. For Google Talk you use Adium. Works great. For VLC you use the OSX version of VLC. Same with Skype.

4. Will all the movies I have on my PC work with Mac? Do I need special programs to run DivX, XviD, etc?

Yes, you can download and install Flip4Mac and Perian and DivX and you will be able to play most all movies. If one will not play there is always VLC!

Hope that helps and if you have any issues when you get the Macbook, be sure to ask away!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for your responses everyone. I'm so excited - I thought I was going to have to order it online to recieve the student discount and free iPod, but it turns out all I have to do is stroll down to the store and they'll take care of me!

Now I just have to wait for the RAM to arrive from Newegg.

Symon

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses everyone. I'm so excited - I thought I was going to have to order it online to recieve the student discount and free iPod, but it turns out all I have to do is stroll down to the store and they'll take care of me!

Now I just have to wait for the RAM to arrive from Newegg.

Symon

Why did you decide you needed more RAM?
From what you appear to be using your laptop for 1 gig is more than enough.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why did you decide you needed more RAM?
From what you appear to be using your laptop for 1 gig is more than enough.

I have heard that upgrading to 2GB of RAM on the Macbook is extremely worthwhile. Also, as a PC nerd, I can't stand to have less than 2GB in any machine, especially since that is currently the "sweet spot."

I realize I won't be doing any memory intensive work at first, but I may down the line. The RAM is fairly cheap from Newegg, and heck, it'll make me feel better. :)

Symon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I can confirm that upgrading to two gig makes it FLY. Even using the usual applications, having 2 gig of room makes for an overall more pleasant experience. Not that one is not enough, it's just that two is waaaay better.

Plus it's currently pretty cheap, relatively speaking. You should try it for awhlie with just the one gig, then put in the two. The comparison will be obvious, if not easy to articulate in a post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already bought my mac with 1G... how do I go about upgrading it?

Reaction score
I already bought my mac with 1G... how do I go about upgrading it?

First, buy 2 1gig sticks, pop out the battery, remove that long metal strip (don't take out the nails, just loosen them) pop the old RAM out, pop the new RAM in. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yayy for some reason I had a feeling it wasn't possible... I heard that you can't upgrade macs :(

Is there a good website to get it from? Also, what's a good brand?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.