Backup Parallels VM to DVD

Reaction score
I am trying to back my Parallels VMs to DVD, but I'm having troubles backing up Windows. I create a sparsed image and convert it to a compressed DMG, but I cannot make it fit on a Single layer DVD, because it is 6.84 GB. Are there any free solutions to shrink it to fit on a single layer DVD? I was considering an external hard drive, if no solution could be found, although I could purchase more Dual layer DVDs and Backup Windows XP to that.

OP
gotenks05
Reaction score
I am trying to back my Parallels VMs to DVD, but I'm having troubles backing up Windows. I create a sparsed image and convert it to a compressed DMG, but I cannot make it fit on a Single layer DVD, because it is 6.84 GB. Are there any free solutions to shrink it to fit on a single layer DVD? I was considering an external hard drive, if no solution could be found, although I could purchase more Dual layer DVDs and Backup Windows XP to that.

Never mind, I got help from the Parallels forum. If anyone has the same problem, please use the split command in the terminal on the hdd, but you'll need to join the files together again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.